What is the best weight bullet for the 7mm08 ?

@ LVJ76,.. Yup,.. If you ever hear anyone, "bad mouthing" a Partition Bullet, you'll know that, they don't know "chit" about,.. Killin', Big Game ! Not, the highest BC around but, freakin',.. DEADLY ! Usually, a "pass thru" as they, Penetrate, well.
Our Family and friend's, have shot, a lot of Big Game over, the years with them, at reasonable ranges. Deer, Elk and Bear, with, .270's, .30-06's and the .338 Win Mag.
Can't even remember, anyone,.. having to shoot, twice !

I've been shooting a 7mm-08 since 1982. My wife didn't like the recoil of a 30-06 so I traded in one of my 1100's and some cash and got her a Rem 700. It didn't have a recoil pad on it when we got it and she didn't like that either! So it became mine. It's a flat out shooter with any bullet I've reloaded it for, 110 TTSX's up through 140 partitions. Killed my first moose with it using a 140 partition. Shot numerous caribou with it, my daughter and I used it in Africa. She used it for Kudu, Springbok and Steenbok. I used it on an Ostrich running full blast at about a 45 degree angle, one shot. Probably the best shot I've ever made. Ostrich's can really run. H414 and Varget are favorite powders. I've been testing some CFE223 loads recently and they shoot pretty well, with good velocity. I just loaded up some 145 LRX's and they shoot under an inch at 100yds for three shots too. I've just started thinking about doing some longer range stuff and I'll be tested some heavier bullets in the ol 7mm-08. By the way the wife is much more recoil tolerant these days, she wants to get a buffalo, (AK drawing results come out tomorrow) and so I had her try a buffalo sized gun. She took my 375 H&H and shot freehand, two shots an inch from the bullseye at 100yds.

Thanks. Lots of good information on this site and I'm playing catch up.
Kmart:

I have 3 Remington 700's in 7x08, the 28" barrell one I use for competition and the other two have 24" bartells, these my wife and I use for hunting. I've found no need to use more than 139gr or 140gr bullets on them. But I have gone up to 162gr and I get sub MOA groups with them as well. All have 1 in 9.25" twist. On the competition one I've used 168gr Sierra MK's with sub MOA accuracy but like the performance of the 150gr MK's better.

Regards

LVJ76

Wa ting to build semi custom 7-08 with legit 400 yd capacity for Mule Deer. Barrel twist and Hammer bullet suggestions?

Wa ting to build semi custom 7-08 with legit 400 yd capacity for Mule Deer. Barrel twist and Hammer bullet suggestions?
For 400 yards with hammer bullets, I would do an 8.5 twist, and if your an experienced reloader, run the 140 Absolute Hammer. Check out the absolute hammer thread for some peoples loads, do a crimp on the bullet, and if you have a bushing die, run .003-.004" neck tension. These are not conventional bullets, so conventional load methods don't necessarily apply. However, you will likely get 3000 fps, maybe more from a 22"+ barrel. People are seeing 200-300 fps increase over standard lead core bullets with these.

If your somewhat new to reloading however, maybe consider the 131 Hammer. I would still run an 8.5 twist, to keep your options open if you ever wanted to go farther than 400 yards and run heavier bullets. Mule deer won't stand a chance with any of these.

Lono time hand loader ( 50 plus years) new to Hammers however. Thanks for the intel. Sounds like another fun project.

Honestly no one can tell you what weight is best. You are the only one that can determine that. You and your rifle. I have two 7-08; A Browning Micro Hunter that shoots 139 gr Hornadys good and a Savage that just loves 154 gr Hornady Interlocks.
If you're going to hunt deer you don't need a premium bullet. Try the good old Hornady Interlocks and if they shoot good, ain't no deer gonna know it wasn't shot with a high cost premium bullet.

The 139/140 weight bullet is optimal in my view. The 140 grn TTSX being my bullet of choise. CFE-223 will push that bullet over 2850 with you bbl length.
This idea that velocity leads to a DRT animal is non-sense. Only one kind of shot leads to a true DRT and that is interupting the Central Nervous System by shattering the spine or a head shot. A high shoulder shot that breaks both shoulders and interupts the nerve complex to the legs will drop an animal in place but it will not be "dead right there" it will take a little time to bleed out.

I would go 9 twist and kind of target the 131 HH.

I would first make a dummy round with the base of the bearing surface even with the base of the neck.

This is probably a legitimate 600yd tool.

Yes this is a older thread but still good information about the 7-08. I've always used 140 grain ballistic tips for deer and never had any issues but decided to load up some 120 BT and they have shot excellent but haven't tried them on game yet. My Xbolt can shoot heavier well but I prefer to use the case space for powder instead of bullet. No need for anything heavier than 140 for deer. Just my .02

Thanks for all the good info, while we are still talking about reloading for the 7mm/08, does any one know if it is possible to resize 308 brass to 7mm/08 with a lee neck sizing die or would I need to use a full length sizing die? I am shooting them in a single shot T/C Encore.
If you are going to make 7-08 brass from .308 (especially with the Encore) and a neck sizing die, run a couple through and try to chamber them. You should be OK, with new brass. If you have once fired brass you may have trouble clambering rounds depending on the chamber of the previous firearm. The Encore doesn't have the camping ability of a bolt gun,and this makes headspace a big deal.

I have formed 260 to 7-08 and .308 to 7-08 and prefer to neck up over neck down because of thickening when necking down. Hope this helps you. Good shooting!

Glad to hear you've had good results with the 120 BT. I've read how well they worked for others and found some available so will give them a try on deer this year.
I'm using W760 with a magnum primer but haven't got to chronograph it yet. What powder are you using LVJ76?
My last post here was 3 years ago. Since then the 120gr Ballistic Tip has worked great on deer.

We still load it and the 139gr SST as well. But now more the heavy bullets, the 162gr AMax and the 168gr Berger Hybrid. They reach out further and are deadly.