What is the best weight bullet for the 7mm08 ?

I have a 7mm-08 a.i. and love it. Its got a 24" barrel. Its shooting 139 gr. SST's very nicely. Just started loading for it.
Hope to build a load for the 162 gr. ELD-X as well. Still playing with primers and different powders.

I have a 7mm-08 a.i. and love it. Its got a 24" barrel. Its shooting 139 gr. SST's very nicely. Just started loading for it.
Hope to build a load for the 162 gr. ELD-X as well. Still playing with primers and different powders.

The most consistent and best accuracy with my loads have been with the CCI BR2 primers. They bested all other primers SDs by 10% and group size by 20% (.073 group with the best of the other primers, and .054 with the CCIs.)

J E CUSTOM

The most consistent and best accuracy with my loads have been with the CCI BR2 primers. They bested all other primers SDs by 10% and group size by 20% (.073 group with the best of the other primers, and .054 with the CCIs.)

J E CUSTOM
Thanks for the tip. I will give them a try. Am shopping for a chronograph before i worry to much more. I think i got lucky stumbled into a very accurate load right off the getgo.

Last edited:
162 Amax. 41.3 gr Varget. 2750 fps.
heart.jpg

I just bought my daughter a Savage Axis compact in 7/08. I was looking for something she could use for elk out to about 300 yards, but that would be light on her shoulder (recoil). My neighbor's daughter took a nice six point bull with a 260 Remington at about 300 yards. So I am thinking that the 7/08 with 150's to 168's should work fine.

I just bought my daughter a Savage Axis compact in 7/08. I was looking for something she could use for elk out to about 300 yards, but that would be light on her shoulder (recoil). My neighbor's daughter took a nice six point bull with a 260 Remington at about 300 yards. So I am thinking that the 7/08 with 150's to 168's should work fine.

139 gr. SST's would do all that. Recoil wouldn't be as bad as the heavier bullets either. Just my opinion

That is what I have her practicing with.
Stay with em. I am shooting them and they are dandy bullets, ESPECIALLY for 7mm-08 velocities. We took a cow with it @ 285 yds. Bullet exited, perfect lung hit. She went into a trot and pilled up.
About a 2" exit. Smoked a doe at 320, she was flop done.

Stay with em. I am shooting them and they are dandy bullets, ESPECIALLY for 7mm-08 velocities. We took a cow with it @ 285 yds. Bullet exited, perfect lung hit. She went into a trot and pilled up.
About a 2" exit. Smoked a doe at 320, she was flop done.
I have to agree with this, if all your shooting is 300ish yards, and your concerned about keeping recoil down, those are a great choice.

Barnes 145 gr LR X Bullets over H414 @ 2802 FPS give clover leaf Groups at 100 yards out of my wife's Kimber Mountain Ascent. 120 gr TTSX or Ballistic Tips give more velocity initially and do justice on Coues Bucks. She just dropped a Bull Elk at almost 300 yards with the 145s

J E CUSTOM
WOW! I am impressed with how much a different primer can effect accuracy, of the same powder charge and bullet weight and OAL. Is that correct? I never used to pay much attention to my primers other than if it was a MAG or LR. I didn't think it much mattered, but I will pay more attention from now on, thanks for the good information.

Last edited:
WOW! I am impressed with how much a different primer can effect accuracy, of the same powder charge and bullet weight and OAL. Is that correct? I never used to pay much attention to my primers other than if it was a MAG or LR. I didn't think it much mattered, but I will pay more attention from now on, thanks for the good information.

The point i was making is that different components will/can have an effect on the quality and accuracy of your loads. Different cartridges will/can show a marked improvement and they need to be tested in order to find them. Another example is most of my large wildcats (Over 100 grains to 125 grains of powder prefer Fed 215 m,s over 215,s and some of the cartridges show a preference for LG rifle primers over magnum primers. So don't just settle for one brand or heat of primer without testing.

The CCI BR2 primers seem to be the best for all of my 308 based cases using the powders that I do. But the same primer may not be as good with other powders.

I start testing new loads with this procedure in the beginning. Cases with a volume around 40 to 50 grains I start with the CCI BR2 primer.
cases with 50 to 70 grains of powder I will use large rifle primers. Over 70 grains I will start with Remington or the equivalent magnum primers. around 100 + grains I start with the 215 M's and sometimes try the 215's.

So there is a best primer for each load, but you have to look for it.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:

Recent Posts