What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

bozo699

I am looking to buy a new scope for my new custom .264 win mag.I want the best money can buy period! I was thinking S&B or a premier? I would like somewhere in the neighborhood of a 5.5 or 6-25 for power. money is no object to a point $4000 or less,but if there is a scope out there just as good without the fancy name for less$ well ok but quailty is my main concern.100yds to 1200 yds and back to EXACT ZERO everytime!!! any suguestions from you big dogs out there would be great.:cool:

For me it would be a S&B PM 2 5-25 with Holland's ART Reticle.
Was able to use one for a year, and it was the best glass I have ever used.

Not a big fan of these 34&35mm tubes . Stick with a Nightforce if repeatability is your goal as you state .
Proven track record, no doubt.

Thanks guys that gives me several different scopes to look @ I just don't want to spend $1500 or so and be dissapointed or don't really want to spend $3500 when $1500 would do just fine.Will do some more resurch with info you have given me Thanks.

I think they are both great choices i would also include March scopes they have a great scope that is 2.5-25x42,heaps of benchrest guys using March.IOR are great scopes for the money,best you look through as many as you can, your eyes will tell you which is best suited to you.

+1 for Nightforce. The repeatability factor and durability are exceptional. I think you can find slightly better glass, but not that much better, and you really have to pay for it. I found out a while ago with just about everything, when you move up toward the "Ideal"100% , going from , say . 93% to 96% is quite costly....good luck...this is a nice problem to have! 30-338 PS I, too , love Holland's reticle!

How many brands of scopes can you shoot a bullet through that will keep working? For a rugged, dendable hunting scope, how can you improve on over a Nightforce? There may be some with a little better glass, but NF glass is more than enough for 2K hunting and I can see very well through mine well past legal shooting hours. Will a S&B or Zeiss hold to up to the same amount of torture a NF will? It would be interesting to find out.

-Mark

I have 5 S&B PMII's several Zeniths, several VMV Series, few Swaro's and 6 USO's. Now that USO is building a more streamlined version in the SN 3 with a 30mm tube( I got Arnold to build the first one a few years ago and it is very popular now(he is building one for me now .17 MOA—long story there and will be the last .17 MOA) and is what I use on all of my new builds. Tough as nails, repeatable absolute click values and glass on par with S&B PMII and guaranteed for life period.

March is a new line with respect to hunting rifle type scopes as of 2009 that will bear looking into but for my money the USO is the choice when it is said and done.

I have 5 S&B PMII's several Zeniths, several VMV Series, few Swaro's and 6 USO's. Now that USO is building a more streamlined version in the SN 3 with a 30mm tube( I got Arnold to build the first one a few years ago and it is very popular now(he is building one for me now .17 MOA—long story there and will be the last .17 MOA) and is what I use on all of my new builds. Tough as nails, repeatable absolute click values and glass on par with S&B PMII and guaranteed for life period.

March is a new line with respect to hunting rifle type scopes as of 2009 that will bear looking into but for my money the USO is the choice when it is said and done.

Oh use NF on my 1K BR rifles because of the weight issue otherwise they would be USO as well.

+ 1 300R Before you choose I would look through as many as you can to see which one is best for you because no two guns will always shoot the same as will no two sets of eyes always see the same.
If you are lucky enough to find a high end optics store close by you could do some comparing for yourself

Thanks guys
Everyone of your posts were very helpfull and I apreciate them all.Mapsjamhere was the most help with Zac smiths artical on long range scopes I have saved it and will send it to all my shooting friends.The only scope he tested that I personaly wouldn't consider for this particular project
(although it is a great scope for general shooting ) The Mark four.Now I own more than 40 leopolds and I like them very much so I am not picking on leopolds!I build several shoot sticks per year and I want the best so I can see What there true potential is. Then more than likely they will get a swarovski or leopold as I can't afford 100 or so S&Bs.
Thanks all,lightbulb:DWayne.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.