What Is The Best Hunting Cartridge To 500 yds.

You mentioned hunting, it really depends on what game animal your pursuing. If your limiting it to deer size animals then the 270WSM is a good choice even if you are pursuing Elk. If you limit your choice to deer sized game I think the 257 Weatherby is difficult to beat. There are so many good choices that it's difficult to limit your choice to one cartridge.

Gotta be the classic .270 Win. Moderate recoil. Very flat shooting. Elk capable. Heavier bullets for higher BC & bigger game; lighter bullets for deer & varmints. Tons of affordable factory ammo. Chambered in just about any platform one could want (bolt, semi-auto, pump, lever, single shot.) Out to 500 yards, pretty perfect.

My choice as well for all the reasons you mentioned.

There is so much more info needed.
Do you need a lightweight gun?
Short for portability? Don't need a magnum with a 20-22" bbl.
Maximum size game hunted?
Do you need easy to get ammo or do you handload? If something happens to your handloads on a trip are you going to be able to get factory ammo or use a friend's or the guides"s ammo?
For Elk and moose I'd say a 6.5 is minimum caliber, 7mm or 30 is better (safer). Everybody else has expressed their recommendations. In a short barrel a 7mm-08, 270 or 30/06, I guess the 6.5 Creedmore (I am not on that bandwagon (yet, anyway)) 308 for that matter.
06 is cheap ammo and available everywhere.
If you are intending to shoot long range, I'd get at least a 24" bbl and go for a 7mm rem mag or my favorite a 300 win mag. a 264 win mag would be great but considering ammo availability, I think the 300 win mag is even more available than the 7mm rem. Though that may be by locale. There'll be no mistaking if you hit something with one of the magnums.

300 RUM! Shoots Flat. Plenty Energy! I prefer Federal Factory 180 Trophy Bonded Tip for all Big Game. If you don't want to go Custom, pick up a used clean Stainless Remington 700 with Tupperware stock. I recently bought exact same rifle off Auction Site and purchased 100 rounds of Federal TBT at a great price from online ammo seller. From there The World is Your Oyster! You can shoot rifle as is. Get a 1 piece 1 inch Low DNZ Game Reaper scope mount and a Leupold VX3i scope. Make sure you have a Limb Saver recoil pad and muzzle resonator (they really work!). This will be a fairly light package. If you care to play... you have all sorts of aftermarket stocks to choose from. I prefer lightweight and like AG Composites Privateer stock. When I semi-customize a 700 I replace the trigger with a Timney set at 2.5 to 3lbs and the full bolt shroud/firing pin assembly with one from Tubbs. That alone will speed up your lock time, reduce weight by 2 ounces, reduce vibrations and makes rifle more reliable in freezing weather so it always goes Bang! I also replace the bolt stop spring with a stronger Holland spring, to prevent the bolt flying out the rear while cycling hard in cold weather. This rifle should easily shoot accurately enough for most big game hunting out to 500 yards off a pack. You can also add a short forward facing rail to your stock for most any bipod. Oh and when it comes to Brakes on a HUNTING rifle, forget about it! This is not a Sniping Gun. Just practice at the range and most hunters should be able to master a 300 RUM. I like the extra Thump the 300 RUM provides on larger game out there and would not hesitate shooting elk/moose/black bears out to 500 with mine, a basic longer range portable Hunting Field Rifle.

Oh and a close second would be a Tikka T3X Superlight (Available from Cabalas and Sportsman's Outlet online) in 300 Winchester Magnum. On mine I added Limb Saver pad, aluminum bolt shroud, titanium recoil lug and action screws. Mine weighs just under 6lbs without scope. I have yet to shoot this rifle, but every Tikka I own shoots sub MOA with factory ammo! Great triggers too! For this rifle I purchased 100 rounds of Federals new 200 grain Edge TLR ammo. I expect it will be accurate and would shoot any Big Game out at 500 yards with it! Really the T3X Superlight is a steal of a hunting rifle!

Lastly, if you can spend a tad more for a hunting rifle, you should take a close look at newer Kimber Montana in 300 Winchester Magnum. I do not know how the newer Kimbers shoot, but when I hold one in the store, well it's my kind of hunting rifle. I think around $1,300 for which you get semi-custom quality. In my mind anything lighter than the Tikka or Montana is too light for quick offhand shots or holding steady for a shot after a rapid climb. I just may need to try a Montana 300 Win! Again I would try Federals new 200 Edge TLR load, with a bullet that's supposed to expand good with speeds as low as 1400 FPS!

Keep in mind that the recoil without a muzzle brake must be something you can handle for at least 30 shots at a range. Most people can't handle repeated recoil from the 30 cal magnums or above for more than 10 to 15 rounds at a time, which means you'd need to have the rifle fitted with a muzzle brake, and wear plugs while hunting. Muzzle brakes are LOUD. Also, some of the rounds suggested here are hard to find at the local gun shop unless you order them. They also tend to be quite expensive. A 270 winchester, a 280 Remington or AI, a 7mm Mag, a 308 (with the right loads), a 30-06, or any of the short magnums in 30 caliber, or a 300 winchester Magnum will do what you want. The magnums will do it marginally better, but the -06 is probably the most effecient in terms of recoil, bullet weight, accuracy and killing power. Next in line would be the 280 Remington or the AI version of the same cartridge. However, the 30-06 can be found in just about every country in the world, where some of the others aren't nearly as available. I'd go (have gone with)with the 30-06.

Small to medium deer/goats/pigs 25-06 and up, big pigs and larger deer etc.. 30-06, 300winmag, 7mm mags etc.. 500m may not seem far but bullet placement, construction. shooting position are just as important. Best cartridge is useless unless you hit it right.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.