What Is The Best Hunting Cartridge To 500 yds.

In Utah, we use the 270 WSM with 170 grain Berger bullet for elk, mule deer and Antelope. 500 yards is no problem at all. We've also used WIN 243 also good out to 500 yards. The benefit of going smaller is you can avoid the expense and noise of installing a muzzle break.

Utah DNR allows people to use 5.56 and I believe that would work out to 500 yards. That said, I would want something a little bigger.

I'm a 600 and under and prefer to kill in feet if I have a choice. My preference would be a 264 Win, 7 Mag, 300 magnum. I'm sure it's too big for some, but I launch the heavier bullets at 3000 or better and they work for me. I'm sure my 270, 280, 30-06 would be fine as well. I mainly target elk so I kinda like heavy bullets that penetrate and open up broad.

I'll go sit next to the fella eating popcorn now! Hahahahahaha

If your max game weight about the same as a large mule deer, then the Grendel will be hard to beat if light recoil in very light, compact rifles is desired.

One can start there and add another rifle for larger game and longer ranges.

But as Tiny Tim notes, we need to know what type of hunting you have in mind to give informed advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.