What Is The Best Hunting Cartridge To 500 yds.

Gotta be the classic .270 Win. Moderate recoil. Very flat shooting. Elk capable. Heavier bullets for higher BC & bigger game; lighter bullets for deer & varmints. Tons of affordable factory ammo. Chambered in just about any platform one could want (bolt, semi-auto, pump, lever, single shot.) Out to 500 yards, pretty perfect.

Kind of what I was thinking between 270 and 280ai

should have prefaced I have:
450 nitro
375hh
300wm
7mm rem mag

I wasn't trying to get suggestions about how to fill the gap.

Just curious on opinions on what cartridge we think fits the bill.

Was thinking North America.

Gotta be the classic .270 Win. Moderate recoil. Very flat shooting. Elk capable. Heavier bullets for higher BC & bigger game; lighter bullets for deer & varmints. Tons of affordable factory ammo. Chambered in just about any platform one could want (bolt, semi-auto, pump, lever, single shot.) Out to 500 yards, pretty perfect.

I have to agree with this!

Interesting question considering probably 90+% of those shots will be taken at 225 yards and in. I'd wager you already have the perfect gun that can double for 225 to 500, for the semi-rare incidental opportunity.

Big gun for a big animals, medium gun for mediums and so on.

For deer size game to 500 and beyond I like my 6.5x47 with a 130 Berger hunting. I did just build a 6 Dasher but only one antelope at 300 yds with it so far. Worked great!

If deer are my largest game, I would go somewhere between a 25-06 to a 257 Roy or a 270wsm or 270 Roy. But if elk size then I would 300win. So many would fit this!!!! I am personally looking hard at a 28nosler which like I said...so many good rounds out there, and then bullet selection and barrel twist will play big in this also

giphy.gif
Pardon me...is this seat taken?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.