what is the barredl twist for long ranged shooting

Cant go wrong with a 1-10 twist .30 cal. Except for maybe the very long heavy .30 bullets. Then i might consider a 1-9.

I think you might be barking up the wrong tree with an M1A. In order for an M1A to be set up for LR shooting it is more than the barrel. Completely different gas setup and lot of wear and tear on the gun.

You should talk to the guys at Fulton Armory about this and decide IF you really want to spend the money.

Other than that, 10 twist and good luck.

I think you might be barking up the wrong tree with an M1A. In order for an M1A to be set up for LR shooting it is more than the barrel. Completely different gas setup and lot of wear and tear on the gun.

You should talk to the guys at Fulton Armory about this and decide IF you really want to spend the money.

Other than that, 10 twist and good luck.
+1 It's a 'battle rifle" first and a target rifle second.

The only model I see that offers a 10 twist barrel from the factory is the SuperMatch. I've not seen a scope mount for the M1A that's "user friendly". If you've got one in mind (a scope mount) please post a link as I had to remove the NM rear sight from mine and install a std. 'battle' sight, as my old eyes were having difficulties with that small hole. The M1A Loaded comes with a 1-11" twst. barrel unless you go through the custom shop. Seems to me, there are cartridges that are more well suited to 1000yd target than the .308 Win./7.62 x 51mm. My Krieger barreled M1a wears a 1-11 twist and I'm quite satisfied with that. The M1a, along with the M1 Garand, require "dedicated" ammunition that is suited to their design. Ammo outside of the required parameters will, eventually, cause damage to the rifle.

i can think of several bolt rifles that would do better. if you are getting an m1a i would get a 10 twist ; however i would believe an 11 would work fine too.

the reading i have done about the palma shooters that are required to shoot a .308 ; they use a long barrel and very very stout loads to stay super sonic at 1000 yd.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.