What is it with the 270 wsm

Mine doesn't get the love it should. Shot my biggest mule deer buck with it and a pile and half of deer and antelope. Now it just sits because I have a 6.5ss, 6.5-300 wby. And then just all around to much over lap. Still a favorite today just doesn't get shot as much as it should.

Ya, my brother is going to use the 6.5-300 since I didn't have the 270 ready. Lots of really good choices these days. I bet next year it will be the 270 though even though I'm sure the 6.5-300 will perform perfectly.

Wow! That's a lot bigger bullet than average. I think bringer if death is a fitting name. I don't see them resembling anything close to a target rifle or varmint. Just bringer of death lol. 2 hole group, entry/exit. My buddy said the broadside shot left about a 1 1/2" hole on the exit about 90 yards with the 116's. I asked about the pedals and he just said ya, I noticed that too
It was a typo. It is a 165 grain bullet. Just about everything I shoot with it is DRT. My only complaint would be blood trails but when they drop in their tracks it doesn't really matter. I kill elk with it so I don't really want a light bullet. I have enough energy to kill an elk at 930 yards with this set up and its just a stock Winchester Model 70 extreme weather with a light trigger put in.

The 6.5-300 bee is straight savage. I've killed elk both whitetail and mule deer and antelope with it from close to some what far. 680 is the farthest big game kill.

I agree. I'd say it's hit and miss maybe for some to get a shooter though. I was popping clay pigeons at 600 with mine and Will be dragging it over to the east for some long range shooting.

My model 70 LH 270 WSM is the ONLY rifle I don't "mess" with. It is king of point and shoot. Shoots a bunch of loads well. Liked it so much build a custom Model 70 in 7 WSM. I think these cartridges just condone accuracy.

You won't have, ANY "need" for, a "Blood Trail",.. IF you shoot, 140 / 150 grain BERGER, HVLD's or Classic Hunters out of a .270 WSM and hit, the "Boiler Room" or, CNS ( high shoulder ) at any "reasonable " Range !
Seen IT, First Hand,.. last weekend !

My model 70 LH 270 WSM is the ONLY rifle I don't "mess" with. It is king of point and shoot. Shoots a bunch of loads well. Liked it so much build a custom Model 70 in 7 WSM. I think these cartridges just condone accuracy.
If I'm being honest, I don't really care for reloading the short fatty's. Not to say that I don't have good luck with them, just seems like the brass is a bit more stubborn. Just me probably. Ive only loaded for the 300 and 270. I find it odd ( bs ) that my amp annealer calls for 2 different pilots lol. Doubt if I could shoot the difference

I need to get out and finish tuning some 116 hammers for my brothers browning medallion and I got to thinking about the cartridge. I mean, has anybody owned one that doesn't shoot ridiculously good? And do they have any purpose other than being a death ray? There's probably some 270 weatherby guys that wonder the same thing. This is the 3rd one I've been around that really doesn't care what it spits out. I kind of have the same feelings about the 25-06 and the 257 weatherby but every once in a while I'll hear someone getting a lemon and maybe someone has or had a 270 wsm that wasn't a death ray. I don't know why I brought it up. Lots of cartridges that are better in other aspects but for just simply killing things, I don't know.
I have some 116gr AH to try out. Do you have any load info to pass along? Thank you in advance.

I have 2 270 Weatherby barrels for 1 rifle. The first is a 10" twist 26" and the newer barrel is a 9" twist 28".
Both are extremely accurate, around 3/8MoA. I run the 150g ABLR in both and get 3300fps in the 26" and 3390fps in the 28". It started life as a 30" but I had to lop 2" off before I got it cryo'd.
My buddy uses a 270 WSM and his rifles mimics mine, albeit over 100fps slower. His will shoot the 150 ABLR into 1/2MoA.
We both hunt Sambar deer, which are about the size of a cow Elk.
I built a 270 Win for my Dad on a tang safety Ruger 77. He wanted traditional looks, so it has a 22" barrel and 10" twist….not what I would have had, but it's what he wanted.
It shoots half inch groups too, in fact most 270's shoot very well in my experience.
It's still a mystery why Winchester chose the .277" bullet diameter, as it certainly wasn't a common size even back in 1925.
It worked out very well for them though.

Cheers.

I have some 116gr AH to try out. Do you have any load info to pass along? Thank you in advance.
If you read through the thread, I posted what I used. I went with h4350 and a regular large rifle primer. It's on the hot side and if I'd had more time I probably would have tried a few other combos but neither of the rifles the load is for get shot for anything but hunting

If you read through the thread, I posted what I used. I went with h4350 and a regular large rifle primer. It's on the hot side and if I'd had more time I probably would have tried a few other combos but neither of the rifles the load is for get shot for anything but hunting
Didn't look at pics first time through, ty

There's a few guys in the forum who shoot.270 Ackley Improved who really like them. Sort of. .270 WSM on steroids, a seriously overlooked cartridge, that's very accurate with great performance. Just doesn't seem to have gotten any publicity. And…..if you really want a real 6.8, build a .270 WSM, with a 26 inch 1in8 twist barrel and then check the performance. The 6.8 Western in my opinion is marketing hype to sell rifles!!! The .270 WSM already shoots flat, has more powder capacity then the 6.8 Western, and with the 1-8 twist it ought to sling those heavier pills with a bit more horsepower
I concur, the 270 WSM is very accurate and with the 130 gr VLD Hunter, devastating!!!