What is it with the 270 wsm

I have owned 3 270 wsm from 3 different mfg.All three shot great and it was usually bang flop kills.I don't know why I sold them but now I need another one!!!
No point hanging onto something really good...if you did....where would you get your heaping Doses of frustration from? My .270 wsm....Definitely on point in the accuracy field! ( So I think I will keep it)

There's a few guys in the forum who shoot.270 Ackley Improved who really like them. Sort of. .270 WSM on steroids, a seriously overlooked cartridge, that's very accurate with great performance. Just doesn't seem to have gotten any publicity
I think the 270 weatherby is another one. Probably not happy I'm even bringing up the topic since they were probably still finding decent ammo/bullets

Be aware, these loads are hotter than I would normally but are only for hunting so work your way up. Was running 3430-40 out of the savage and 3360-80 out of the shorter barrel browning
That's screaming out of that case. I'm running nearly identical velocities with a 270 Weatherby Mag with 71.5 gr of H4831sc. Sub 1/4 consistently with the 117 hammer hunters and shot a 3 shot group last week at 845yds that was a hair over 2". Love the 270's especially the Weatherby's!!

I have two 270 WSM's and they are both "above average" shooters. The Winchester 70 Featherweight (with some modifications) is a consistent 1/3 MOA rifle with select ammunition.

The cartridge itself lives in that magic territory that easily exceeds 3,100 fps for those "drop like a sack of cement mix" kills and yet stays under the tolerable recoil limit for most hunters.

That's screaming out of that case. I'm running nearly identical velocities with a 270 Weatherby Mag with 71.5 gr of H4831sc. Sub 1/4 consistently with the 117 hammer hunters and shot a 3 shot group last week at 845yds that was a hair over 2". Love the 270's especially the Weatherby's!!
I was wondering when someone shooting the weatherby would chime in. I think the hammers definitely opened up a different can of worms with any of the 270's. Man, that's some really good shooting. You probably shouldn't have said anything and kept that a secret lol

I have two 270 WSM's and they are both "above average" shooters. The Winchester 70 Featherweight (with some modifications) is a consistent 1/3 MOA rifle with select ammunition.

The cartridge itself lives in that magic territory that easily exceeds 3,100 fps for those "drop like a sack of cement mix" kills and yet stays under the tolerable recoil limit for most hunters.
I think you're spot on with the recoil vs energy. Then throw the weird part where they all seem to be accurate and it really becomes the beat up one in the safe. When my brother first brought the browning over and I saw how beautiful it was I said man, are you really going to hunt with that? Yuuup

I call mine "The Bringer of Death". I shoot 175 grain Matrix bullets and it can **** near shoot one hole if the nut behind the trigger is tight. I think it is the perfect North American hunting rifle since I don't hunt grizzly bears.

I was wondering when someone shooting the weatherby would chime in. I think the hammers definitely opened up a different can of worms with any of the 270's. Man, that's some really good shooting. You probably shouldn't have said anything and kept that a secret lol
It's hard to resist when things exceed expectations. I bought my first one in 86' and started loading in the early 90's. Thanks to these good folks on this forum for sharing their knowledge in both wins and failures and the hours and days spending researching and endless leaning has been a greatly appreciated to feed the obsession of perfection.

I call mine "The Bringer of Death". I shoot 175 grain Matrix bullets and it can **** near shoot one hole if the nut behind the trigger is tight. I think it is the perfect North American hunting rifle since I don't hunt grizzly bears.
Wow! That's a lot bigger bullet than average. I think bringer if death is a fitting name. I don't see them resembling anything close to a target rifle or varmint. Just bringer of death lol. 2 hole group, entry/exit. My buddy said the broadside shot left about a 1 1/2" hole on the exit about 90 yards with the 116's. I asked about the pedals and he just said ya, I noticed that too

There's a few guys in the forum who shoot.270 Ackley Improved who really like them. Sort of. .270 WSM on steroids, a seriously overlooked cartridge, that's very accurate with great performance. Just doesn't seem to have gotten any publicity. And…..if you really want a real 6.8, build a .270 WSM, with a 26 inch 1in8 twist barrel and then check the performance. The 6.8 Western in my opinion is marketing hype to sell rifles!!! The .270 WSM already shoots flat, has more powder capacity then the 6.8 Western, and with the 1-8 twist it ought to sling those heavier pills with a bit more horsepower
Thats what I did. 1:8 twist, and had the barrel opened up to shoot the 165 gr. Matrix. Supremely accurate.

I have owned 3 270 wsm from 3 different mfg.All three shot great and it was usually bang flop kills.I don't know why I sold them but now I need another one!!!
I own, a Tikka T-3 Lite, SS, in .270 WSM and with 140 Berger Classic Hunters, it shoots sub 1/2 MOA, IF I "do" MY Part !
Bullet going, 3,185 FPS with IMR 7828 and STILL going OVER , 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards !
Last week, on an Elk here, in Idaho, I touched one off,. INSTANT,.. Heel's in the Air with, a high shoulder shot with, those Berger's !
Recoil, is MANAGEABLE without,.. a freakin' Brake and Fun to, Practice with !
Yup, the .270 WSM,.. IS,.. a KILLER !

Last edited:
The .270 WSM with, Good BC, 140's is, a LAZER "Death Ray" and I don't even think about, "Dialing" my Scope, til' past, 350 yards with, a 200 Yard Zero !
I have NO use for, a Bigger Bullet ( MORE Recoil ) or,.. the 6.8 Westerner !
My last 2 Elk, died just as Dead as, the one's I've shot with, a .338 Win. Mag.

Last edited:
I'm sure somewhere out there is a guy that bought a 270 wsm and it wasn't accurate. Just don't ever hear of it. I think if you own one it likely only has one real purpose and it's not to win the popularity contest.