What is fair wait time for chamber job?

Hoggetter

I talked to a custom smith CCR in Az in january about chambering a new 30 cal barrel I would provide to convert one of his 28nosler rifles he had built on s Defiance actions. Also open the barrel channel on the stock to match the new contour and color match the cerakote on the action for the barrel. These are all jobs he lists on his web site. He said no problem and he would have it done before the end of March. So I sent it right over. I waited till mid April for an update sense I was trying tobe patient for a quality job. I called him and he said not yet. Now its the end of May and he is not returning any call or texts and I just want a update with truthful information when it will be done sense he is already two months over due. I provided all the parts so the corona execuse does not apply.
So any advice would help.
Thanks in advance !!!

Seems like he would be on it since you're buying a rifle from him to convert. My smith somewhat caters to rebarreling for the comp shooters since it makes up the majority of his business so if I drop off components for a build(hunting rifle), he generally will let me know 5-6 months. Sometimes I get it back in 3-4 months but always before 6.

I talked to a custom smith CCR in Az in january about chambering a new 30 cal barrel I would provide to convert one of his 28nosler rifles he had built on s Defiance actions. Also open the barrel channel on the stock to match the new contour and color match the cerakote on the action for the barrel. These are all jobs he lists on his web site. He said no problem and he would have it done before the end of March. So I sent it right over. I waited till mid April for an update sense I was trying tobe patient for a quality job. I called him and he said not yet. Now its the end of May and he is not returning any call or texts and I just want a update with truthful information when it will be done sense he is already two months over due. I provided all the parts so the corona execuse does not apply.
So any advice would help.
Thanks in advance !!!
In the same situation right now left my rifle for six months with one Smith never was even touched, took it back went to a second Smith said it would be done in two months well two months two weeks later I called he said he meant to call me but he had replaced his lathe and was still not set up yet he would get it very soon well this was over a month ago here we go again I've had a Smith rebarrel a rifle and get it back to me in two days now I understand I'm in line with other people but these wait times are out of control!

In the same situation right now left my rifle for six months with one Smith never was even touched, took it back went to a second Smithy said it would be done in two months well two months two weeks later I called he said he meant to call me but he had replaced his lathe and was still not set up yet he would get it very soon well this was over a month ago here we go again I've had a Smith rebarrel a rifle and get it back to me in two days now I understand I'm in line with other people but these wait times are out of control!
Also the Smith that I got my rifle back from after six months of nothing was the same smith that returned a re-barreled rifle in two days !! I have a friend who's had a rifle for over a year not done yet with the same Smith!

Maybe it's the buisness I am in but I don't have much patience for missing deadlines. With that being said sometimes things happen in life you have no control over especially if he is a one man army or small shop. If it was close enough I would pay a visit and if there was not a good reason and a new reasonable deadline I would take it back. If I wasn't close enough I would send an email for him to send it back. My last rifle was built by Alamo Precision and they beat their time frame. Exactly what I asked for, reasonable price, on time, and shoots great. They will get my next build no questions asked. I almost don't want to post this so their lead times don't go up. But a reliable buisness deserves the accolades.

I completely understand the frustrations expressed here. I understand there can be unforeseen delays, but lack of responsiveness when things go off schedule is not okay. Most of the top GS shops are in the 6 month range from what I am understanding. I am willing to wait, but would not tolerate lack of communication.

One thing I have learned is not all customers are equal, way of life. If a longer running customer wants work done, or if the smith wants his name on another guys rifle, you get pushed back. If a smith cannot realistically meet a timeline, not sure why they accept the work. The chances of negative publicity increase.
You are in deep enough, I would wait it out. But lack of communication is unacceptable IMO

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong...the gs I use has a back log of gun work to do in his retired from real job life....he usually works the late shift on my little stuff.....and his wife likes the money......