What is everyone's recommended Muzzleloader rifle?

After many decades and many different rifles, along with more money than the law should allow, I went to a custom .45cal.

IMG_1759.JPG

I currently have a CVA Accura and it shoots pretty well. Just curious what everyone else is running.
I currently have a CVA Acurra V2 and an Optima V2. Both have been the best over the shelf rifles I have owned to date. Both shoot sub 1 MOA (2 shot groups) and sub 1.5MOA (3 shot groups). This is with NO swabbing between the first and second shot and a spit swab for the 3rd shot as I think that is what realistic would be in a hunting situation. You rarely will have chance for a second shot let alone a 3rd...so by the time you are shooting 3, you likely have enough time for at least a spit swab.

All that being said, it depends what your goal is. Muzzleloader hunting past 300 yards is just really not realistic in my opinion. Honestly, past 250 yards is quite difficult so for my needs the CVA accura and optima are perfect. Heck competition muzzleloader shooters have a difficult time holding 1 MOA past 300 yards so for me ethics start to come into question on how realistic it is to shoot deer past those distances. Just my two cents.

Picked up a CVC Wolf a few years ago and, for the price, was pretty happy with accuracy. I feel comfortable out to 200 yards, which is fine for the 40 acres I usually hunt.

............ Muzzleloader hunting past 300 yards is just really not realistic in my opinion. Honestly, past 250 yards is quite difficult so for my needs the CVA accura and optima are perfect. Heck competition muzzleloader shooters have a difficult time holding 1 MOA past 300 yards so for me *Rule 1 Violation*s start to come into question on how realistic it is to shoot deer past those distances. Just my two cents.

Shooting/hunting long range isn't for everyone and it isn't as easy as some might think. Wind is the enemy. Most shooters/hunters should avoid shots even at 200yds.

However I've taken many whitetail at 250yds+ over the years with a production muzzleloader. On the other hand, I likely shoot more than most and at long range.

I respectfully disagree about the competition shooter part. Inline shooting has evolved into a larger competition and they're shooting MOA and less without a rear rest of any kind, only off the shoulder, out to 500yds. This is also done with production rifles and production rifle charges. Custom rifles can compete, but they are held to a maximum charge of 120grs VOLUME of BH209.

Once you get into customs, such as both rifle photos posted above, then you're talking a whole new world in long range accuracy and bullet energy, and that's using substitutes.
When you get into the smokeless muzzleloaders, the whole world changes again. Its nothing to maintain 1/2MOA at 500yds with those rifles and maintain 1,700fpe (bullet energy).

Never under estimate the capabilities of today's modern inline rifle.

Shooting/hunting long range isn't for everyone and it isn't as easy as some might think. Wind is the enemy. Most shooters/hunters should avoid shots even at 200yds.

However I've taken many whitetail at 250yds+ over the years with a production muzzleloader. On the other hand, I likely shoot more than most and at long range.

I respectfully disagree about the competition shooter part. Inline shooting has evolved into a larger competition and they're shooting MOA and less without a rear rest of any kind, only off the shoulder, out to 500yds. This is also done with production rifles and production rifle charges. Custom rifles can compete, but they are held to a maximum charge of 120grs VOLUME of BH209.

Once you get into customs, such as both rifle photos posted above, then you're talking a whole new world in long range accuracy and bullet energy, and that's using substitutes.
When you get into the smokeless muzzleloaders, the whole world changes again. Its nothing to maintain 1/2MOA at 500yds with those rifles and maintain 1,700fpe (bullet energy).

Never under estimate the capabilities of today's modern inline rifle.
It's been a while since I checked the long range game for muzzleloaders. Wow the new ones are impressive but also kind of takes the fun out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.