What is everyone favorite caliber for deer?

They aren't for everybody. You have to be patient and pick your shots. All my shots with 223 are with a 50 grain v-max to the throat patch. Lots of opportunity where I hunt. They drop instant when you break their neck.
That may be so but when we teach hunter/trapper education we teach broadside shots only to the heart and lung area only.

That is fine and I suppose the proper way to reach someone. It is what I teach new shooters as well. I take that shot with larger guns myself. I have taken as many deer with my little 223 as all other calibers combined. It's not for everyone, but don't knock it til you try it.

I hunt in the Piedmont area of SC and before that, northern Louisiana. I've always been a fan of the 308. My son got his first rifle last year and it's a 270. I think both are perfect for our hunts, which are up to 200yd shots.

With the .22 calibers bullet chose is very importanent as many .22 bullets are made to come apart very quickly on very small game. I have not used a .22 on big game but for deer with the right bullet, shot placement and range I think the would be fine. Just take your time and make shore you can make a perfect shot.

7mm. Be it 7mm rem mag.,7mm-08 or 7mm mauser. Depends on terrain . Open field where might need long range hard hit the 7 mag wins every time. Short range like smaller fields 200 to 250 max its toss up. If need to make less fuss and softer report the mauser gets the nod. If in small area my 7mm mauser on a pistol frame with 12" barrel gets to go out and play. Plus all using same bullet makes reloading supply stocking easier.LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.