What is everyone favorite caliber for deer?

Honestly, anything between a 243 and a 30 ought 6 is more than adequate for whitetail. I think the sweet spot is 243 to 7-08.

I started out with a 270, switched to a 7x57 Mauser and finally built a custom rifle using the 6.5-284. For me it meant less recoil, better accuracy and more long range potential. A 6.5 is all you need foe whitetail or mule deer. I've got a 2 pound trigger that breaks like glass and the whole rig including scope is under seven pounds. Just what the doctor ordered.

I use 124 grain Hammer bullets and the penetration is excellent.
30-06 sako or 303 british custom build

I started out with a 270, switched to a 7x57 Mauser and finally built a custom rifle using the 6.5-284. For me it meant less recoil, better accuracy and more long range potential. A 6.5 is all you need foe whitetail or mule deer. I've got a 2 pound trigger that breaks like glass and the whole rig including scope is under seven pounds. Just what the doctor ordered.

The 270 and 308 work great for everything both woods and open country !

My first deer rifle was a Marlin 336 in 30-30. Killed a lot of deer with it. Then I got a Rem 700 in .270 Win and that has been my go to for the last 30 years or so. I have taken deer with other calibers, .223 Rem, .308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 35 Whelen, and a .50 cal muzzleloadder, but the 270 is my main rifle.

Last edited:
I use my 7LRM with berger 195 EOL shot a mule deer at 810 yards this year one shot dead before he hit the ground no meat lost bullet performed perfect

.284 caliber

7mm-08 for climbers, stands, and general purpose

280 AI for general purpose, long walks (Ti), and distance (beanfields & senderos w/ 26" heavy setup)

7mm Rem Mag for trophy hunts and when I expect the unexpected for needing to get the job done.

What is the twist on your bbl

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts