What is deal with 338 RUM?

cumminsusa

Why is it that nobody other then Remington that makes 338 RUM brass? As for factory ammunition I only know of Federal that makes them other then rem. I don't expect any body to be able to know the answer. Just want to know what you guys have heard.

I kind of felt the same way you feel about my .300 RUM but i found out that nosler makes some good brass for it maybe they make some for the .338 Ultra ?

just a thought.

BigBuck

im sure its all about the $$$$$$$$. If they are the only ones that make it you have to buy it from them. Being they designed the cartridge then im guessing they have not released the right for anybody else to make it. Makes business cents i guess:D (sense mispelled on purpose for the play on words effect about money)

Since Remington is dropping the models that are even chambered for the 338 RUM, I don't see it as a big seller. Why would other companies jump in and retool to make it when they know they can sell the popular chamberings?

its like trying to find 300 rum brass,my brother cant find much other than rem or nosler

its like trying to find 300 rum brass,my brother cant find much other than rem or nosler

At least he has a choose. The rem brass works fine for me right now, but it would be nice down the road some day. That I could use some nicer brass. I have only been reloading just shy of a year. So they will do me just fine for a long time. Just wanted to see if any body had found or was using something else.

Why is it that nobody other then Remington that makes 338 RUM brass? As for factory ammunition I only know of Federal that makes them other then rem. I don't expect any body to be able to know the answer. Just want to know what you guys have heard.[/QUOTE)

I have and use several 338 RUMs they will do everything I expect of them and they are a
standard case with dies and brass available.

I use the remington brass and find it to be fine. I to wish someone like Lapua or Norma
would make it but so far this has not happened. Federal and Nosler(also Federal) offer it
but I find them no better just more expensive.

When I start a rifle project for my self I normally buy brass and dies at this time and if I
can't find factory ammo I have my reloads. normally I try to buy at least 300 rounds if
this is a hunting rifle ,More if it is for varmints or targets.And this will last a lifetime of
hunting.

When I built my 7 WSM I thought "NO Problem" it was a new and up and coming
cartrige and should be arround and easy to get brass for. But caution won out and
I bought 400 rounds when they were cheep. And now it is diffacult to find. So I
would recommend buying the Remington brass and relaxing.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.