What is causing this dent below the shoulder on my Ackley Improved cases?

That's odd. I'm almost positive I use Redding dies in my 6mmAI & it doesn't do that. Now you've got me wondering....

On the other hand, as said before; it won't hurt anything other than looking funky. It'll pop right out as soon as you squeeze the trigger.

t

I also have a 6mmAI. One pf my favorite cartridges. RCC makes very good brass but will cost you $6 a copy. Winchester is great brass with a little prep work. Check your local sportsmans warehouse. I seen Winchester 6mm rem ammo there the other day for $1.50 a squeeze. First box I've seen for sale in over 2 years.
I also have a couple sweet loads worked up. PM me for info if you want.
RCC is bankrupt

That's odd. I'm almost positive I use Redding dies in my 6mmAI & it doesn't do that. Now you've got me wondering....

On the other hand, as said before; it won't hurt anything other than looking funky. It'll pop right out as soon as you squeeze the trigger.

t
I emailed Redding and asked if they would make me a die with the vent and they said none of their dies have and they won't make me one. Was disappointed to hear that.

I emailed Redding and asked if they would make me a die with the vent and they said none of their dies have and they won't make me one. Was disappointed to hear that.
I have dozens of Redding dies and never get an oil dent on my cases. A small amount of Imperial Sizing wax is all I use. I use the wax on the entire body, shoulder and neck without issue. For a little while, Redding was putting a small can in with their dies.

You should thoroughly clean your dies to remove any excess that's already in there and start over with modestly lubed cases. Never force a case in the die if there is too much resistance.

So, I am using too much lube or not enough and I should or shouldn't lube the neck or shoulder. I'm trying different things. I felt a few cases that I can feel something in the same place on cases that have been fired but not sized so I am going to scope the chamber and see if there's a burr or something in there that's starting the process and then the pressure from sizing is exacerbating the problem. Does that make sense?

So, I am using too much lube or not enough and I should or shouldn't lube the neck or shoulder. I'm trying different things. I felt a few cases that I can feel something in the same place on cases that have been fired but not sized so I am going to scope the chamber and see if there's a burr or something in there that's starting the process and then the pressure from sizing is exacerbating the problem. Does that make sense?
They are not coming out of the gun with a dent are they ?
Look at google images for exactly the issue you are having;

Try running your cases in the sizing die slower my Redding 6mm Texan dies do the same thing if I run them in fast

I am thinking they are coming out with the tiniest imperfection in them after firing. I am going to look at the other new ones that I have and see if they have the little place in them. If not, I will load up some of them and fire them and see if they have it. If not, it's got to be something in my process of reloading.

i use redding dies for my 6br hornady one shot make sure you let dry
i have had dents before it ways to mutch lube

just a ? why cant you drill a hole in the die to make a vent hole
Maybe drill a vent hole in the case???🤣🤣🤣
ONLY KIDDING DO NOT DO THAT!!!!
We use "One Shot" on our Cases. We have several RCBS Pads with Lube but found One Shot works the best.
After we have our Cases cleaned and ready to get sized, we spray some One Shot inside a empty Gallon Zip Lock Bag and then put the brass in it. Then spray some more One Shot over the brass, seal the bag, shake really well and then start sizing. Brass is coated evenly and never had any issues.

F/L dies are made of hardened steel, drilling holes in them would be problematic for home type gun guys. I have only encountered the dent case problem with Ackley improved brass in Redding 6mm AI F/L dies. Use of different case lube(s) does not make a difference. The pace of F/L sizing 6mm AI brass slows to a crawl. The 6mm AI is my favorite Ackley case.

Last edited: