What is an 22 243

thats pretty impressive, i have a tikka .22 creed pushing a 77tmk at 3550, 6 cm brass necked down in one pass to 22, load and go. not pushing them hard as i shoot it alot and barrels take time to change over here!
Anything "Creedmoor" seems to get a lot of attention lately but it's hard to reinvent a better wheel IMO. For the 22-243 (plain) I simply run a 243 Lapua case through a FL 22-243 die and I'm done. I run 82gr Bergers at about 3,550 IIRC in the non-AI case. Accuracy has been exceptional in both the plain 22-243 and the AI variant.

I don't have anything against the Creedmoor family of cartridges. I really enjoy shooting a 6.5 Creed, but I don't see them as being the latest and greatest advancement in cartridge design either. Either way, they're all fun to shoot!

Lrdsdmn,

No disrespect meant by me either, but this is a fourteen year old thread that you ran across.

I'm sure they have it figured out by now. ;)
badthirtyone,
And, just like that, saved from the dead! Haha :cool:

Edit:
I personally like my .22-250AI, but it takes a backseat to the 40 grain vmax .223 loads doing 3650. Way more fur friendly. 👍

Last edited:
There's always something in the back of my mind that .223 gets shortchanged by a combination of things, a big one is it being the "AR caliber" but also needing a smaller bolt face in the not-crazy-overbore rounds so the action is less common. It's a fantastic bore, and honestly wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing a resurgence in the 223 AI, 22-250, 22-243 AI, etc. as the anti-Creedmoor/ don't need stupid-overbore crowds moves into the bore size. The Berger 90gn has a lot of potential.

There's always something in the back of my mind that .223 gets shortchanged by a combination of things, a big one is it being the "AR caliber" but also needing a smaller bolt face in the not-crazy-overbore rounds so the action is less common. It's a fantastic bore, and honestly wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing a resurgence in the 223 AI, 22-250, 22-243 AI, etc. as the anti-Creedmoor/ don't need stupid-overbore crowds moves into the bore size. The Berger 90gn has a lot of potential.
QuietTexan,
The lowly .223 has done well for me, out to about 1/4 mile, so I can't complain. 🙃
Best Regards and God Bless, Col

Edit: double tapped quote...

I had a 22-250 for 3 years, shot around 180 foxes with it. Solid calibre that just works. Used the 52gr eld m and n140.

I don't mean just for varminting, I mean true long range, 1000 yards+. The owner of a range here has a video on youtube of him making one mile cold bore shots with a 223 Rem AI. As ELR takes off what used to be considered long ranges are getting shorter and shorter, right now we're already at the point where a range that only goes out to 500 yards or less is quickly becoming useless for the caliber options we have. An increase in small bore and rimfire is logical to keep older ranges useful because the space required for ELR (and even for F-Class) is hard to come by in a lot of places. Nothing will ever replace actually shooting at distance, but taking a 22LR to 300 or a 223 to 600+ is more readily available and a lot cheaper than taking .338+ calibers out to 2000+ yards.

I use a Bellm designed barrel chambered in 222 Rem Mag Improved and it shoots accurately to more range than I can see with typical optics.
222 RMI.jpg

Maybe since 2007 OP realized the proper use of "an". As "an" should only be used if the following word begins with a vowel or a vowel sound. There is an exception to the use of "an" with historic. One can use "an" in "an historic event." That's it though for the H words.

I had a 22-250 for 3 years, shot around 180 foxes with it. Solid calibre that just works. Used the 52gr eld m and n140.
ChickenTikka,
We only see a couple fox, each season, around here. So, they enjoy a solid, hard pass.
Good numbers though, and thanks for the new bullet powder suggestion. 52 is a little heavier than I usually choose. But, it's a good efficient one for reaching out.

I don't mean just for varminting, I mean true long range, 1000 yards+. The owner of a range here has a video on youtube of him making one mile cold bore shots with a 223 Rem AI. As ELR takes off what used to be considered long ranges are getting shorter and shorter, right now we're already at the point where a range that only goes out to 500 yards or less is quickly becoming useless for the caliber options we have. An increase in small bore and rimfire is logical to keep older ranges useful because the space required for ELR (and even for F-Class) is hard to come by in a lot of places. Nothing will ever replace actually shooting at distance, but taking a 22LR to 300 or a 223 to 600+ is more readily available and a lot cheaper than taking .338+ calibers out to 2000+ yards.
QuietTexan,
I couldn't agree more! Add an extra 100 for that .22lr, that will really teach the importance of wind drift and variations in load quality.
One thing, I think the shorter distances with sub-calibers has over the real deal, is it gets exponentially harder once you hit that 400 mark... guess I pretty much just said, what you had said. Haha, again, I couldn't agree with you more.

Thanks, Col, I like shaping wood and the little break-action isn't too difficult for inletting the receiver, forearms are a breeze.
View attachment 318687
actually a 22 caliber on a 243 Win case could be the .22-243 Middlestead
Highest Rifle Velocity
5278 fps in .22-243 Middlestead
(taken from an archived site: https://web.archive.org/web/20170918164330/http://reloadersnest.com/)
gemihur,
That is just plain cool!
And yes, I believe you are correct with the Middlestead; that was the first as I recall. That's a barrel-burner by any standards... 😎