What is a high velocity bullet?

I said the same thing earlier, 3000fps was the bar for many years
I still think it is a relative term. Every time there is a shooting with an AR the media calls them out as "high power" and "assault weapons" to which it could be argued that the .223 is not high power relative to a 50 BMG and any gun could be called an assault weapon if used to assault someone. An assault weapon could also be a rock, knife, spoon, or anything else someone uses to assault someone.

I saw a thread where a poster used the statement "high-velocity bullet X" without explanation. So rather than hijack the thread and make it controversial unnecessarily, I figure I would start a separate thread with informational and civil dialogue with the LRH community; we all know the rules. I think I know what the poster means, but we have a lot of new members new to reloading and LRH/S that can benefit from it. What does a high-velocity bullet mean? We all know that solids can be driven to higher/faster velocities than the cup and core bullets. Current solid bullet designs require higher minimum impact velocities than a cup and core bullets.

I pretty much laid out my definition of a high-velocity bullet, but I am more interested in your take on the subject matter. Cheers!

@Petey308
After much confusion about what this meant, I am going to start over with a new answer.

I consider Hammer Bullets as low velocity bullets capable of very high velocity depending on what cartridge you run them in.

After much confusion about what this meant, I am going to start over with a new answer.

I consider Hammer Bullets as low velocity bullets capable of very high velocity depending on what cartridge you run them in.
I will be going for my first kills this year with a hammer at what I would consider high velocity. If they perform as well as people say I will be a happy high velocity hunter.😁

Velocity is a vector quantity that indicates displacement, time, and direction. Unlike speed, velocity measures displacement, a vector quantity indicating the difference between an object's final and initial positions.
So maybe we are looking at this wrong? Its how fast the bullet will arrive at its destination.?
It looks like confusion still exists despite the definition you provided. L😇 L!

Just to add fuel to the fire the test group that I am associated with who have tested thousands upon thousands of bullets now categorize anything above 3800fps "Hyper Velocity" as everything that one given bullet does at 3000fps changes drastically 3800fps and above
Couldn't agree more.

Just to add fuel to the fire the test group that I am associated with who have tested thousands upon thousands of bullets now categorize anything above 3800fps "Hyper Velocity" as everything that one given bullet does at 3000fps changes drastically 3800fps and above
When you test these bullets, do they need gunpowder to get to velocity? Are you sure you said that right? Hyper velocity? I don't think bullets can do that. There is potentially a violation here. For all of our sake, I hope there is someone here that can straighten you out.

When you test these bullets, do they need gunpowder to get to velocity? Are you sure you said that right? Hyper velocity? I don't think bullets can do that. There is potentially a violation here. For all of our sake, I hope there is someone here that can straighten you
All apologies, Yes we use gunpowder and primes incased in a brass tube for this testing, I hope I haven't broken a rule

All apologies, Yes we use gunpowder and primes incased in a brass tube for this testing, I hope I haven't broken a rule
We'll see what the Chief has to say about this. I think as long as you are sorry and now see the error in your ways he will let it slide. He may have to start another thread so as not to hijack this one to ambiguously let you know how wrong you are. (Gotta do it on the sly and remain above the fray, you know.). He may have used the magic button and has no idea how terrible you have been. He may need to be informed by a deputy.

We'll see what the Chief has to say about this. I think as long as you are sorry and now see the error in your ways he will let it slide. He may have to start another thread so as not to hijack this one to ambiguously let you know how wrong you are. (Gotta do it on the sly and remain above the fray, you know.). He may have used the magic button and has no idea how terrible you have been. He may need to be informed by a deputy.
I guess it really depends on how the given information and apologies are synthesized

I didn't read in past the first page due to time constraints. For me this was tickled: playing with twist rates in the past (long, long time ago) some documented findings were that bullet jackets were too thin for "high"er velocity 22CF applications based on some bullets literally not making it to the target (spinning apart it seems).
And then the snowball rolled down hill lol.

You are correct; it is freaking hot here, 48F yesterday and 55F today. I appreciate your concern, but I am relaxed and getting plenty of sleep (3-4 hours a night all my life) and exercise. Yes Sir, I always pray not only for patience. The gophers have been keeping my buddy and me busy.

You almost made me cry brother, was 109° here on Sunday, and we haven't even hit June or July heat yet 😔. I'm sure you remember those very cool July days.

Luis