What is a good load for 300 gr smk in 338-378

dgr416

I have two Accumark Weatherbys in 338-378 weatherby.What is a good load for these guns with the 300 gr SNK bullets.I tried 100 grs of reloader 25 it was alright but not super accurate.I have shot .25 groups with Nosler 250 gr partitions with 110 grs of reloader 25.So how far ouit do you have to shoot animals like moose with SMK bullets.I have done so good with the Noslers its hard to change.

dgr 416,

I dont own one of the monsters but if you go to lilja barrels and look at a few long range articles he gives a few loads for that combo (story is velocity of long barrels something like that ) i believe he uses imr 5010

338/378 enjoy slo wpowder

forget 5010 because
that an old powder very hard to find
that a coarse tubular powder very nice to sand blast the throat

you can use 50 BMG powder as AA8700 , H870 ( if still vailable ) H50BMG , WC 87? , andthe belgium made PCL 9520 sale under SP13 by Nobel in USA

with all of them NOT MAKE LIGHT LOAD to avoid SEE .

338/378 factory barrel is bit short but that can work

I have start to rebarrel my Fortek in 338 LM 27.5 inch for a 34 inch in 338.378 WEA short and thight throat for 1 mile shooting

good shooting

DAN TEC

That is t5he load I used the 99 grs of reloader 25.It kinda blast a little with those 300 gr smks.Is this a better long rang bullet than the Nosler 250 gr partitions I am using.I am pushing them 3150 fps with 110 grs of reloader 25.I cant get the Smk s to shoot near as good as the noslers for some reason.I might be seating them wrong.I have gotten .25 groups with my 338-378 with the Nolsers partitions and 110 grs of reloader 25 which is max in my rifle.I saw article where guy shot 114 grs of reloader 25 it was way too hot.My rifle got 3250 with 112 grs but locked up tight and I could hardly open it.I wish weatherby had a 30" barrel with a break then it would be smoking.Their break is one of the best I have ever seen for recoil and accuracy.

dgr416,

what´s the barrel twist? I shoot 338 LM and only after finding out my twist is actually 1 in 10" I tried 300 SMK:s. It was supposed to be 1 in 12" but it´s not and I´m very happy with SMK:s now,thanks again Dave.
smile.gif

I think its 1 in 10"in the weatherbys.This accumark is awsome long range hunting rifle.I got both for $1000 each pretty cheap.I couldnt get the 300smk s to group good but I was using a cheap scope on the rifle at the time a big no no.I have that Nikon 65.x20 in Burris Siginature z rings on weaver bases.They worked on my 416 rem mag 1600 shots without moving .I am looking for like a 4x 24 power scope that is good I dont know if ones made.I just dont like 6.5 power in thickets .Its awesome on the tundra.I love these guns .I want one in .408 ultra mag that would be even better.

If the twist is 10" it´s going to work okay. Good luck,moose is my reason for this cocktail too - mine is 338 LM though.

I also had problems at first with Matchkings: my TRG-S needs a bedding job,these 300 grainers keep loosening the screws even at moderate velocities (2600-2700). That never happened with 250 Scenars so it took me a while to find out what´s going on. Will fix.
grin.gif

Petander

I forgot...was it you that learned you needed to add an after-market recoil lug to replace the anemic factory lug? If so did you ever do it?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.