What is a "bore-rider" bullet?

LongBomber

I have been looking at building up a new rifle in a larger caliber (375 maybe?) and looking at high BC bullets. One thing I found was a few of the lathe turned bullets come in a "bore rider" or non "bore rider". I see it says to check your chamber before ordering the "bore-rider" bullet.

My question is this - what is a "bore-rider" bullet? Whats the difference compared to a regular bullet?

In general a bore rider bullet has a base of the groove diameter and a bearing surface of the land diameter. It is a favorite type of bullet in cast bullet circles where some casters double size their bullets. However it requires a bit of serious setup by the shooter to make or have bullets that precisely fit two deminsions inside his barrel.
Best,
Ed

I have been looking at building up a new rifle in a larger caliber (375 maybe?) and looking at high BC bullets. One thing I found was a few of the lathe turned bullets come in a "bore rider" or non "bore rider". I see it says to check your chamber before ordering the "bore-rider" bullet.

My question is this - what is a "bore-rider" bullet? Whats the difference compared to a regular bullet?

It is basically a banded bullet.

These are common in the dangerous game bullets especially the solids.

When the bullet is fired only the bands engrave the rifling and the bullet body rides in the
bore without engraving.

Most solids are much to hard to be engraved like the jacketed lead or soft copper bullets so
the bands are used because of minimum contact with the groves .

They are a little difficult to set up for long range but they do seam to increase velocity if fitted
correctly.

I think that all of the really big guns 20 mm and up to the 16'' navy guns use this system
because of the size and weight of the projectile.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts