What in-line muzzleloader would you recommend, and why ?

There are some really good suggestions here on firearms that might get it done out to 350. But these are experience ML shooters that understand all the pita nuances of how to shoot accurately and consistently past 200 yards. ML's are a completely different animal to tame and it will take some time to learn the little details that will take you past 200+. Everything from ramrod load pressure to shot swabbing frequency will affect accuracy and consistent velocity. SML are easier but a lot of states do not allow SML in ML seasons. Most of the moderately priced ML in 50 cal by reputable makers will get it done with a good bullet to bore relationship. BH209 is by far best solution but impossible to find. If you see it, buy it! The only other suggestion is stainless steel is by far easier to maintain from corrosion plus nitride. Longer barrels are needed for longer range for the burn time velocity gain. Triggers are critical and not all ML triggers are worthđź’©.

Tc encore pro hunter in 45 caliber is what I shoot with 80 grains of black horn 209 and a 239 grain Hornady sabot I have had this particular rifle for 16-17 years you can run reloaded 7 no more than 46 grains weighed not measured thru these rifles if you can find it and it is smokeless without issue I have taken animals @ 200 with it no issues

Traditions Performance Brands
- they are less expensive but still good quality (I think they are made in Spain)
- you spend the extra money on quality powder and projectiles

I used a Traditions muzzleloader for an elk hunt and it served me well with open sights 170 yards

Looking at picking up a decent in-line muzzleloader, but really would like to hear from some of you who already own and hunt with one. I figure price range of $600 to $800 if one exists thats really worth it. Using for whitetail. Thanks again.
When they first came out I picked up a Remington700ML. It has been very reliable and accurate. I did some bullet drop tests and found that bullet drop was significant. Almost 50" at 1860fps muzzle velocity. Muzzle blast also wrecked my chronograph. I couldn't afford the scope that would give me enough elevation adjustment for a 350-yard shot. I put a 20moa rail on it and could achieve reliable accuracy at 400 on paper but never shot at game at more than 205. I now shoot only Pyrodex pellets, Triple 7 would give a bit more velocity but I can't reliably find it, using Barnes MZ Expanders in 250 gr. I went through several ramrods. It came with a carbon fiber composite ramrod which I thought had too much flex in it. I had a local gunsmith make me a brass one. He took a brass rod of similar diameter to the original ramrod and machined threaded holes in each end. That does the job really well, but it does try to jump out during recoil. The manual that came with the rifle said to keep maximum charges to 120 grains. I found I could go to 150 with no ill effects other than fouling but settled on two Pyrodex pellets totaling 100 grains. I put a Leupold VX Freedom scope on it and it performs extremely well. It is about 8.2 lbs. Fine for stand hunting. I then got a Knight in-line which was much lighter for when I was woods stalking.

Every now and then Ballistic products ( http://ballisticproducts.com/) gets a load of Cheddite 209 primers in. Usually a 2 brick limit. Last time I bought 2 bricks. They work great in the muzzleloader. The diameter is slightly larger than US made primers so if you put them in shotshells they will stretch the primer pocket, After that you must use Cheddites in those shot shells.

Looking at picking up a decent in-line muzzleloader, but really would like to hear from some of you who already own and hunt with one. I figure price range of $600 to $800 if one exists thats really worth it. Using for whitetail. Thanks again.
I have been hunting with Muzzle Loaders for many years and am also a NRA/NMLRA certified instructor so do know a little bit about muzzle loaders. First of all, more expensive isn't always better. Some of the lower priced rifles actually shoot better than the more expensive ones. I have shot a lot of different rifles and I have settled on a CVA Wolf. It shoots 1MOA or less at 100 yards. While some muzzle loaders have the manufacturer designation as Magnums, allowing for larger powder charges almost always lesser power will result in more accuracy. In my rifles case the 1 MOA groups are obtained with White Lightening pellets and Powerbelt 245 gr 50 cal bullets. (see pictures below, shot at 100 yards) This particular rifle likes 100 gr (2 pellets of powder) and the 245 powerbelts. (Hollow points and Aero Tip shoot the same) I tried the max (Magnum) load of 150 gr (3 pellets) and the group doubled in size. I played with heavier bullets and they too did not group as well. The Wolf currently retails around $250 . Don't buy the rifle with the scope, but do get the scope mount. I bought mine with the scope and after not being satisfied changed over to a Vortex Diamondback 3 x 9. The targets below were shot using the Vortex scope. In states that do not allow muzzle loaders to have scopes the original iron sights work quite well.

Attachments

• 20181022_161936.jpg
    20181022_161936.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20181022_161950.jpg
    20181022_161950.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 9