What ia the best long range scope you have used ?

This is a good list. For LR you need clarity, reliability, and good low light capability. I haven't had the opportunity to use the ZCO, but my wife has a Premier (forerunner to the TT), and I have a S&B PMII 5-25. The S&B is my favorite and meets all my criteria, and to my eye is better at last light than the PR, this is subjective based on the scope and a person's eye. I wish the PMII weighed less, which is why I ordered a Polar for my hunting rifle. Less magnification range and less ability to dial than the PMII, but more than enough for my 338 WM or 6.5 (or a 7mm if I build it) to go as far as I'm willing to shoot.

After a Leupy let me down on a shot about 15min after sunset, I haven't been a fan. I couldn't see antlers at 250 to tell which buck to shoot. I could see the antlers through cheap bushy binos, but couldn't see anything resembling antlers through the scope.

For me the best, is what you can afford that give you the most time after sunset where you can still see to make an *Rule 1 Violation*al shot.
I have been using Leupold since 1975, and with the HD or Mark series added to my collection of Burris, NF, Swaro and Zeiss optics (I wish that I could afford Leica glass or Hensoldt), Leupold shines. One bad apple (scope) will not spoil a collection. How many Gold Ring Leupolds have you had?!

Still love my first NF 5.5-22x50. I've gotten to really like my vortex golden eagle too
I have been full circle chasing the best HUNTING scopes for me and hoping NF comes out with a 2FP NX8 scope. If not, it will be back to a NXS 5.5X22 with MOART....had one and sold it....bad move.

Last edited:
I can say my most expensive scope is my Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 m-rad. I like it. Works like it should. But I have to say that my Nikon Monarch 4-12x50 from the early 80's is much clearer and brighter. My Nikon Buckmaster 6-24x40 Target dot did me very well on my 1k benchrest rifle when I was competing.

I guess I am out of date on long range scopes .I used a Nikon monarch 6 5x 20 x44 mm scope on my 338-378 weatherby in Alaska .I had no problems with it except it was not a good moose scope below 20 yards .It was awesome from 20 to 500 yards .I just bought a Nikon 6x24 x50 mm mrad 30 mm scope hope it good .i trust Nikon scopes they worked awesome in Alaska for 12 years .
Nightforce 5.5x22x50 or Steiner 5x26x56

I use Nightforce on 2 rifles (NXS and NX8), Leupold Mark 4 on 7 rifles, Burris on 2 rifles, and Trijicon on one.
Like some of the others that posted, I started getting better and more expensive optics as I got older and got kids out of the house (they eat a lot lol) and had more "extra" money to spend.
Get what you like and what your budget will allow.
Best of luck with your decision.

I have been using Leupold since 1975, and with the HD or Mark series added to my collection of Burris, NF, Swaro and Zeiss optics (I wish that I could afford Leica glass or Hensoldt), Leupold shines. One bad apple (scope) will not spoil a collection. How many Gold Ring Leupolds have you had?!
Over the years 3 different Leupys, since mid 80's that's what I started shooting and then hunting with bc my father did, and my first match scope was a leupy converted by PR to FFP. I've also had Bushnell, Swarovski, NF, Vortex, and S&B. My Dad moved to Zeiss as his eyes got worse and I went to S&B as I got more into shooting. I still have a NF (on a rifle that's up for sale, I want another PMII), a gen 2 pst on my 22, and 2 Bushnell (on 3-gun ARs). I don't have the same use or expectations from those scopes. Hensoldt makes excellent glass, but I have enough heartburn buying S&B. For my eye, the NF NXS was better than the Leupold I had experienced personally or on others I got to look through, and Swarovski and S&B outshine the NF.

This is pretty funny to me - what Leupold were you using that let you down in low light?
VX3 4-14, that was replaced by a Swarovski z3 3-12 which was way brighter and a scope I would highly recommend if someone doesn't mind SFP, and I recently sold that and replaced it with a S&B to get a FFP.

While the 7-35x is a great mag range for true long range shooting, if he doesn't like a 6-24x for 20 yard shots, I assume he wouldn't like a 7-35x either.

A 20 yrd or less shoot through a 7x scope with a 35mm maintube might have a better/bigger sight picture/ field of view over that tiny 1" main that Nikon 6.5x had

I sure noticed a huge improvement going from a VX3 6.5x with a 30mm main.

For me....the 35x on the high-end really helps on plus 500 yrd shots with my eyes

I get to shoot to 1000 yrds with two co-workers. One having a NF NSX, the other a SB PM II. On our all group of three we feel all three scopes have very similar high quality glass. When shooting to beyond 800...only my scope can spot the hits with it's 35x.

jjw
ND