What ia the best long range scope you have used ?

I guess I am out of date on long range scopes .I used a Nikon monarch 6 5x 20 x44 mm scope on my 338-378 weatherby in Alaska .I had no problems with it except it was not a good moose scope below 20 yards .It was awesome from 20 to 500 yards .I just bought a Nikon 6x24 x50 mm mrad 30 mm scope hope it good .i trust Nikon scopes they worked awesome in Alaska for 12 years .
S&B PM I I 3-20x50

Does anybody use Burris at all or do they keep it a secret when they do? Been using Burris for almost 30 years with only 1 warranty issue which was repaired and returned in 10 days. My favorite is 6.5x20 sf w/MVE1 reticle. Optics planet will have these on sale under 400 dollars occasionally . Working with poor man budget but have been very happy with all of their products.
My neighbor competes PRS and he is sponsored by Burris. Before I met him, I bought an XTR II. Great buy in optics!

I have leupold 6.5 x20 . Thirty years old is still a great scope.
Bought a new gun Cooper firearms long range in a 28 Nosler .I ended up putting a Swarovski X5I
5 ×25 - 56 wether it's the best or not could not say. According to the swarovski app I will be able to shoot out to just over 1800 yards. I dont think I'll ever do it but would be fun to try.

If money is no object - Tangent Theta. If you are looking for a budget scope - the Vortex HS-T 4-16x44 is awesome.
Lots of options in the middle - I really like my VX6HD 4-24x52 - tracks and is light weight. The nightforce NX8 and Mark5hd are the others that are really good options if you want FFP.
If you have a Tangent Theta, what build are you using it on?

I guess I am out of date on long range scopes .I used a Nikon monarch 6 5x 20 x44 mm scope on my 338-378 weatherby in Alaska .I had no problems with it except it was not a good moose scope below 20 yards .It was awesome from 20 to 500 yards .I just bought a Nikon 6x24 x50 mm mrad 30 mm scope hope it good .i trust Nikon scopes they worked awesome in Alaska for 12 years .
Too bad they have quit making scopes as of January this year!

I have used a variety of scopes over the last 48 years, but the easiest range finding and long range scope I've used has been the Shepherd DRS scope in both 3 to 10 power and 6 to 18 power. I normally use a 3 X10 Shepherd because it allows easy ranging and shot placement out to 800 yards and still lets me shoot at 3 power for sudden close shots. I have a 6 to 18 power scope on one of my 300 winmags and that allows very precise shot placement to at least 1,000 yards using either the ranging/aiming circles or the moa marks along the vertical in the reticle. Shepherd/Salvo now has 4 to 16 power and 6 to 24 power DRS scopes which have 60 minutes of angle of ranging on the vertical crosshair from center to bottom of the crosshair, along with ranging circles out to 1,200 yards on some of the scopes. All of them have ranging/aiming circles on the vertical crosshair that compensate for drop out to at least 1,000 yards. The circles take nearly all of the calculation out of determining bullet drop at any distance inside 1,000 yards for me.

I have Leupolds and Vortex's. I use Vortex Viper PST II 5-24 X 50 (first focal plane) with 30 mmm tube and EBR-2C reticle mounted on Armalite .338 lapua. It's my favorite. Very fine etchings on reticle and good in low light.

Last edited:
I have used a variety of scopes over the last 48 years, but the easiest range finding and long range scope I've used has been the Shepherd DRS scope in both 3 to 10 power and 6 to 18 power. I normally use a 3 X10 Shepherd because it allows easy ranging and shot placement out to 800 yards and still lets me shoot at 3 power for sudden close shots. I have a 6 to 18 power scope on one of my 300 winmags and that allows very precise shot placement to at least 1,000 yards using either the ranging/aiming circles or the moa marks along the vertical in the reticle. Shepherd/Salvo now has 4 to 16 power and 6 to 24 power DRS scopes which have 60 minutes of angle of ranging on the vertical crosshair from center to bottom of the crosshair, along with ranging circles out to 1,200 yards on some of the scopes. All of them have ranging/aiming circles on the vertical crosshair that compensate for drop out to at least 1,000 yards. The circles take nearly all of the calculation out of determining bullet drop at any distance inside 1,000 yards for me.
Shepherd's Dual Reticle System is a secret that should have received more print, especially for elk hunting with a 30-06. It works well, but it isn't up there with a rangefinder and a dope sheet or a CDS turret. IMO, it does decrease in accuracy past 500 yards as a bullet's variables have to be considered. IMO and from watching a friend with a 3-10 and a 6-18, the 3-10 at 400 yards is his preference. That being said, every hunter with two or more guns should have a Shepherd DRS scope and a Leupold HD CDS scope. Green, thanks for bringing up Shepherd scopes.