What ia the best long range scope you have used ?

Mark5 7-35
100 moa dial
Crisp clean image all the way to 35x
35mm main tube
Starting to love the Impact 60 reticle
....it's a lot of scope for the $$$

jjw
NDView attachment 178502
While the 7-35x is a great mag range for true long range shooting, if he doesn't like a 6-24x for 20 yard shots, I assume he wouldn't like a 7-35x either.

I don't really consider under 20 yards long range. That's compound bow range or instinctive shooting at that point lol

Oh and for long range (1400yrds+). Go Nightforce.

I personally think 5-6.5 as a low end is too much magnification. I'd select 3-4 and then up to 20(ish) on magnification--too much mag and you can loose clarity in waning light. 30MM barrel, good glass, good warranty--stuff happens. I personally think SFP is better for hunting...just me. Lightest weight you can get. MOA adjustments seem easier to use but I always go the extra step and get drop in turrets--no math in public:). I like exposed turrets for ease of access. When I first started playing LR shooting/hunting, I didn't want to put 3K in a glass before I knew if It would stick or not...so I bought a Viper Vortex 4-16x44 HS-T scope on advice from a friend. It is all the stuff I said above. I love it and now have four...bout $700.00 ea. I shot his with the NF, the other with the Vortex. One 6.5 CM, the other .308. The NF was a bit clearer, heavier and much more expensive. Not $2300.0 better IMO. My friend has a Leopold VX6HD 3-18X50, that's a nice eyeball too for a bit more $$$...I like the zero stop.

I personally don't have a brand that I'm loyal to. I try to make educated thoughtful decisions WRT anything I buy. To this day I still don't have a LR scope that meets my needs. No. 1 thing is it needs to start at 2.5 and go to minimum of 30 with a 34mm tube.
second it must be FFP with an illuminating reticle. After that it needs to have a reliable history. Here's the issue for me. Their so darned expensive. That's y I don't have one. I'm too cheap. Lol. I guess my Sig Sauer, vortex or Nikon will have to do.

I guess I am out of date on long range scopes .I used a Nikon monarch 6 5x 20 x44 mm scope on my 338-378 weatherby in Alaska .I had no problems with it except it was not a good moose scope below 20 yards .It was awesome from 20 to 500 yards .I just bought a Nikon 6x24 x50 mm mrad 30 mm scope hope it good .i trust Nikon scopes they worked awesome in Alaska for 12 years .
For me it is my bushnell elite 6500 on my Sako 30-06 and Nikon on my 375 H&H

I have used many high end scopes and have settled on one.
Vortex HD 4.5 x 27 34mm tube by 56mm objective.
I own two, one atop a .243 (6mm), the other on my .338 Lapua Mag.

This scope (both) are MRad and offer me fantastic, clear with outstanding contrast and amazing adjustability.

Simply put, outstanding !!!

I will have to weigh in, I used a Leupold for 1,000 yard target and beyond. then I got introduced to Kahle's, Schmidt&Bender, and Night Force. of those the best was a near dead tie between S&B and Kahles with NF just a hair behind Kahles.

I can only comment on what I consider my only long range scope which is a Super Sniper16X on my Remington 700 .308 Winchester. Not really a hunting rifle due to its weight but definitely a long range rig. It will put three rounds touching at 500 meters as long as I do my part.

I guess I am out of date on long range scopes .I used a Nikon monarch 6 5x 20 x44 mm scope on my 338-378 weatherby in Alaska .I had no problems with it except it was not a good moose scope below 20 yards .It was awesome from 20 to 500 yards .I just bought a Nikon 6x24 x50 mm mrad 30 mm scope hope it good .i trust Nikon scopes they worked awesome in Alaska for 12 years .
Hi D, I worked in optics for some time. Your question asks what other shooters say is best. I say it is more important for me to ask you after a demo, "What do you like the best?" Demo starts with: What is your price range? Next is, how far do you mean by long range? 500 - 750, 750 - 1,000. 1,000+. Based on your history of Nikons and a top price of $1,000, I would ask you to up the ante to $2,000, and I believe your long range is up to 750 yards. At 20 yards, turn your rifle, aim down the stock and barrel, make sure your shoulder is solid and fire that Weatherby canon. I hope you have a muzzle brake.
I would ask you to come in around dusk and we'd step outside with (alphabetical order): Burris XTR II 4-20x50mm (34mm tube); Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS (30mm); NightForce NXS 5.5-22x56 (30mm); Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15x44mm (30mm); and Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50mm (30mm tube). Ask to view them on a scope demo stock and not free hand - you can check eye relief and how forgiving the eye box is. Cheek weld can be done at home. See how they compare to your new Nikon, and then you decide. Then I will meet you at the Salty Dawg. PS I am a fan of illuminated reticles and custom dials on my hunting rifles.

Last edited: