What ia the best long range scope you have used ?

Mark5 7-35
100 moa dial
Crisp clean image all the way to 35x
35mm main tube
Starting to love the Impact 60 reticle
....it's a lot of scope for the $$$

jjw
ND
IMG_20190816_111522.jpg

I guess I am out of date on long range scopes .I used a Nikon monarch 6 5x 20 x44 mm scope on my 338-378 weatherby in Alaska .I had no problems with it except it was not a good moose scope below 20 yards .It was awesome from 20 to 500 yards .I just bought a Nikon 6x24 x50 mm mrad 30 mm scope hope it good .i trust Nikon scopes they worked awesome in Alaska for 12 years .
A vortex 4x16x50 le works great up close and far away 600.00 or less

I guess I am out of date on long range scopes .I used a Nikon monarch 6 5x 20 x44 mm scope on my 338-378 weatherby in Alaska .I had no problems with it except it was not a good moose scope below 20 yards .It was awesome from 20 to 500 yards .I just bought a Nikon 6x24 x50 mm mrad 30 mm scope hope it good .i trust Nikon scopes they worked awesome in Alaska for 12 years .
I have Burris and Leupold

I have used a few others but those seem to have been the best for price and reliability for me .

20oz NightForce NXS 2.5x10x42 for hunting has served me well . Easy to get behind, durable as all get out. Clarity and tracks perfectly. What once used to be the "cats meow" I'd now fairly "affordable" now thats it's kinda old ,lol. Still an EXCELLENT choice. Killed uncountable amount of critters never to have needed more than 10x. I'd say I can't remember last time I used more than 6x. Dropped elk out to 550

Does anybody use Burris at all or do they keep it a secret when they do? Been using Burris for almost 30 years with only 1 warranty issue which was repaired and returned in 10 days. My favorite is 6.5x20 sf w/MVE1 reticle. Optics planet will have these on sale under 400 dollars occasionally . Working with poor man budget but have been very happy with all of their products.

Best, as has been eluded to is a qualitative judgement and dependent on specific requirements. My hunting rifle(6.5x284) used for shots as close as 100 yards and as far as 1200 yards, and weighs in at about 11.5 pounds. It's generally carried about 25% of the time and I'm glassing or set-up in position for the balance. My quarry is predominantly whitetail, mule deer, and antelope with some coyote hunting. Because of whitetail being my favored game, shooting frequently can be in the shadows, and low sun/light positions.
If I had to pick just to just one scope for this style of hunting it would be the Nightforce, recently upgraded ATACR F2(SFP) 5x25x56 with MOAR reticle. A very close second would be my March 2.5x25x52 SFP with an MTR-3 reticle. The trade off between the two, for my personal needs(older eyes) is the slightly better optical quality and improved ratio/marked parallax control of the upgraded ATAC-R...against the more compact size and lighter weight of the March.
4B24F4F7-1F4E-433B-BDAC-51AD20911D5A.jpeg

Last edited:
Not yet mentioned in this list is Leica. I own a 2.5-10x42 EBr and 10x42 Trinovid binocular. The performance of both optics in low light and edge-to-edge clarity, is par with an S-B Klassik and PMII and trounces lesser glass. Leica now offers several Magnus models with exposed, zero stop turrets w/tactical style adjustments in a more huntable package. They're not cheap or and they won't let you down. The Magnus 2.4-16 (about 27oz) is $2800-$3000 on EuroOptic depending on reticle. EuroOptic often offers floor samples after major outdoor shows (I got my EBr this way) at significant discounts.