What ia the best long range scope you have used ?

dgr416

I guess I am out of date on long range scopes .I used a Nikon monarch 6 5x 20 x44 mm scope on my 338-378 weatherby in Alaska .I had no problems with it except it was not a good moose scope below 20 yards .It was awesome from 20 to 500 yards .I just bought a Nikon 6x24 x50 mm mrad 30 mm scope hope it good .i trust Nikon scopes they worked awesome in Alaska for 12 years .

Best I have used is a March 2.5-25x52 sfp, followed by either a Nightforce nxs 5.5-22x50 on a friends rifle or a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44. The nightforce would be the more rugged of the two between it and the Leupold, but the leupold glass was as good, would maybe be better with the larger objective, and much less weight if that is a factor. The March is better than both in pretty much every way in my opinion.

Depends on what you consider "Long Range". For hunting out to 1200+:
S&B PMII 3-20×50
ZCO 4-20×50
TT 3-15×50 TT315M
March F 3-24×52

This is a good list. For LR you need clarity, reliability, and good low light capability. I haven't had the opportunity to use the ZCO, but my wife has a Premier (forerunner to the TT), and I have a S&B PMII 5-25. The S&B is my favorite and meets all my criteria, and to my eye is better at last light than the PR, this is subjective based on the scope and a person's eye. I wish the PMII weighed less, which is why I ordered a Polar for my hunting rifle. Less magnification range and less ability to dial than the PMII, but more than enough for my 338 WM or 6.5 (or a 7mm if I build it) to go as far as I'm willing to shoot.

After a Leupy let me down on a shot about 15min after sunset, I haven't been a fan. I couldn't see antlers at 250 to tell which buck to shoot. I could see the antlers through cheap bushy binos, but couldn't see anything resembling antlers through the scope.

For me the best, is what you can afford that give you the most time after sunset where you can still see to make an ethical shot.

Last edited:
at first it was Leupold , and that took saving 😉 ,later came Nightforce even more saving to buy🤔 do you see a pattern ? lol, yeah my wallet cant keep pace with my tastes 😞 so I compromise ,still have my NF/benchrest 8x32 that's gonna stay no matter what!. So to make my coin Str..etch farther i'm trying different Brands my Latest new is a Meopta MeoPro/Optika 6 ,sfp 3x18x50 bdc Dichro retacal ,twice the scope for Half the money ,thks Cameraland ,yeah it would be nice to try them all ,but I know that answer , Better yet lets stay Free enough to Enjoy our GOD given rights to choose wisely, cheers.