What I need to get started

jkward

I am just getting into reloading and I purchased a Lee reloading kit. I am trying to figure out what brass, primers, powder, and bullets to use. I am shooting a .308, I know that there are a million choices. I am not looking for the best I just want to start shooting something better than factory rounds. Thanks for your suggestions.

I remember when I got my Lee Kit :rolleyes: but I purchased with the Lee Modern Reloading book, but anyway bullets and powders that depends what barrel twist rate you have, but if you can get H-Varget, IMR 4064 or RE-15 you are set, primers if you can get Large Rifle you good to go. Brass, Lapua is a nice choice so Nosler, some people like Lake City... Remington & Winchester are cheap but weight deviation is much greater then Lapua's or Nosler's brass. O yeah don't forget to ask about ojive :rolleyes:

I am just getting into reloading and I purchased a Lee reloading kit. I am trying to figure out what brass, primers, powder, and bullets to use. I am shooting a .308, I know that there are a million choices. I am not looking for the best I just want to start shooting something better than factory rounds. Thanks for your suggestions.

Since you're just getting started reloading I'd get some Nosler Ballistic tip 150 or 165 grain bullets. They're easier to stabilize than some of the higher BC bullets.

The powders that jinx suggested are good options ( I like varget because it's temp stable , I'm not sure about the others )

As far as brass I'd start with either winchester or remington . It's less expensive than the high end brass ( Lapua etc...) and you'll still be able to put together some really good ammo. Once you've been reloading for a while you'll really appreciate the high end stuff.

Primers, I use winchester or CCI . It all depends on what you can find . It's been hit or miss with primers for awhile. But Large rifle primers are starting to show up with some regularity.

I'd start at SAAMI length , which for .308 Winchester would be 2.810. Once you find a powder charge you can adjust the seating depth to suit your rifle but that's another issue.

Good luck , have fun and be careful.

Mike

Last edited:
If Win or Rem brass weight them carefully break them in to groups by weight and H2O capacity, I started with Rem brass when I got my Lee Kit and I had 7 groups formed from 100, while you at it anneal and turn them. Bullets I would still be concerned about your twist rate, I would assume its either 1:10 or 1:12, to start try 168 gr SMK or Nosler Custom Competition, sort bullets by their length and ojive, messure your max seating OAL, meplat trimmer would be nice to have... load your powder -1 grain bellow the max seat your bullets 0.015" of the lands 3 -5 loads is adequate for testing , then decrement another 0.015", I usually start with 4 different loads try them, see what shoots best then adjust your load by 0.05" till you find your sweet spot. Then increase 0.5 gr of powder or decrease it you might have a shooter. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts