What hunting benchmade?

OG-danimal

Looking for thoughts:
Looking for a new hunting knife to carry with me on day hunts and longer backpacking trips. Right now I'm using outdoor edge which works well, but seems to need a lot of blade replacements for big game like elk. I'm in between the benchmade hidden canyon and the steep canyon, and then I'll probably buy the goat knife as a lightweight super sharp option.
Cheers

Both are very nice knives, I like the blade design on the Steep Country, but personally dont care for the orange handle …. Check out the Hell Gap also its very nice!

Of those two no question the Hidden for me. I don't know your blade style likes. Not pushing it. Look at building a custom Buck 113 Skinner with SV30 steel. I prefer a wood handle (about $150 if engraved) and we just had another one with antler, engraved made for my son. About $220 with a legit full grain leather sheath. I have skinned, quartered, 2 deer/elk, and up to four goats and it is still sharp. Never had more to test it on.

I noticed you mentioned the outdoor edge. My buddy has one and the edge didn't hold up too well, similar to your experience. I use the gerber vital and have been very pleased with it for dressing, skinning, and quartering. We were breaking down a deer together last year and part way through he asked if the blade on mine was still sharp. Yup! His was dulling already.

That said, for benchmade I don't think you can go wrong on either you are eyeing. I have a couple of folding benchmade and they hold up great!

I do carry a fixed blade Bradford Guardian as well and the edge holds up great doing camp chores.

So many choices 😀

Looking for thoughts:
Looking for a new hunting knife to carry with me on day hunts and longer backpacking trips. Right now I'm using outdoor edge which works well, but seems to need a lot of blade replacements for big game like elk. I'm in between the benchmade hidden canyon and the steep canyon, and then I'll probably buy the goat knife as a lightweight super sharp option.
Cheers
Get yourself a Marbles that is USA made or a Gerber. The Stag handle Marbles I have is on the Antler. Took it around the World and can get a Scary Sharp. The blade metal will turn color with animal blood. I refurbish knives so I polished this one. The Gerber in the Black sheath works great also -stays sharp.
As you can see I like knives and know a little about them. We also have another collection in the safe.

Attachments

• Marbles.jpg
    Marbles.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 19
  • Knives.jpg
    Knives.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 18