What height rings do I need?

csheipe757

I know that the easiest way is to just measure the bell on the scope but I ordered a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP and don't want to wait for it to get here and then order my rings. Deer season is quickly approaching and I have a lot of work to do still with this gun. My question is, does anyone know what height talley one piece ring I would need to clear this scope on a Remington 700?. Thanks

Here's the method I use.
Add 1/8 inch to half the size of the bell. (40mm bell/2 = 20mm + 3mm = 23mm)
So he center of you scope needs to be at least 23mm above the barrel.
Select rings that will mount on your rifle with a center line of that height.

I use that method because of the differences in height of the action relative to the top of the barrel, differences in height of rails, etc. Without physically examining your rufle I would consider recommending a specific set of Talley rings unwise.
Of course, suggesting their extra high model would be a safe bet :rolleyes:

757, just call or e-mail Talley. Give them rifle make, model, scope make, model and objective size They have always responded to me with the exact part# to fit my application within 24hrs. The number is (803) 854-5700
Good luck with the deer hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.