What happens when you use a 270 win in a 30-06

schwabdog

What happens when you use a 270 win in a 30-06......
i Own a 270 win and my brother owns a 30-06 SPRING field. I reload the 270 for myself and my bro was looking for a better bullet, so I started to reload some Hornady 180grs, with dad today, and we compered the two, and thought what if you use a 270 win case in a 30-06 as the 270 fits right in to the 30-06…. And then my brother told me a story when he was out spotlighting and he was loading his mag (IN THE DARK), he saw this fox but it was just a bit too quick for him to fire, hi didn't see anything else that night, and as he was unloading his mag the first round looked a bit funny so he took a closer look and it was a (270 win).
Lucky.
Does anyone know what happens if you put a 270 win in to a 30-06
Just juries………… thanks
i think i know what would happen ;)

I don't think that much when you put the .277 in the .308 bore BUT the other way would case a major major mess to say the least... Hopefully you never get to see those results but I'm sure if you search the web long enough you'll find pictures of what happens somewhere...

Many years ago, i did this very thing, i went to the local wally world to buy some '06 rounds, went to the range to check my zero and didn't even cut paper. Checked all screws and bolts and shot again still nothing, then i noticed the head stamp was 270 win, and i liked to had passed out. I usually don't have my head up my arse like that but rest assure it has not happened again. I had bought 4 boxes of these rounds and all four were marked '06 on the box and all the rounds in the boxes were 270. I carried them back and exchanged them for '06 and they were to contact the manafacturer to report the problem. As to the acutal shooting of these rounds, it did not damage my rifle or cause any accuracy problems, i did notice that these rounds did not recoil like a 165gr '06 should have, but you cant hit squat with it either LOL. Just my personal story on this subject, you live and learn and thankfully i lived to shoot another day.gun)

I call that fire forming. It will blow the neck of the 270 case out to 30 caliber but since the bullet doen't engage the rifling all the way around, if at all, the bullet will key hole shortly after leaving the barrel. Shouldn't hurt a thing except the case is now a 30-06. If you try to stretch a neck too far though, it will split the neck.

I 'discovered' that a 243 will chamber and fire in my 7-08 AI. It hadn't really occurred to me that the improved cartridge moves up the shoulder enough that a 243 would chamber.

When I fired, I noticed the greatly reduced recoil and looked over at the chronograph...1426 fps. ***? A squib? Opened the bolt, checked the case head, doh!

I 'discovered' that a 243 will chamber and fire in my 7-08 AI. It hadn't really occurred to me that the improved cartridge moves up the shoulder enough that a 243 would chamber.

When I fired, I noticed the greatly reduced recoil and looked over at the chronograph...1426 fps. ***? A squib? Opened the bolt, checked the case head, doh!

Lucky you didn't hit your chronograph! :)

I saw a guy shoot a 308 win in his 30-06... case came out looking pretty strange... like a straight-walled, case, with a slight bevel inward where the shoulder of the aught-six chamber was... but the bullet went on down the barrel, and the rifle was fine... Mossberg ATR100...

Dan

I know what happens when you fire a .264 win mag round out of a .300HH. Make a long story short I grabbed the wrong ammo pouch and in the dark loaded a .264 round in my 300 HH mag. Two hours later I saw a bear took aim and fired. The gun was a pre 64 mod 70. As you can expect the casing form fitted to the chamber and a lot of gases were blown back into my right eye. I ended up in the emergency room with stippling on my right cornea. It was very uncomfortable for a few days but no permanent damage (pride took a hit when I admitted being stupid to my buddies). No damage to the gun but a big lession learned. You can bet I check my shells before loading these days.

Ditto....Recently bought some 300wm ammo via a Gun Broker auction -- a couple of boxes of Win Supreme -- got a great deal on some great shooting ammo, only downside was that someone along the way had replaced a row of 300's with 7RM's (same case and bullet style). Anyway, to make an unnerving story short -- while wringing out a new Vortex and just mindlessly pulling rounds out of the factory box, my 700 XCR gobbled it up and spit it out surprisingly non-challantly.... MV/pressure was noticeable lower, hit the paper about a foot off zero, blew out and cracked the case neck/shoulder, caused the owners heart to stop momentarily.... but other than that, it was thankfully a pretty uneventful event.... Haven't done anything that stupid since I was 15 and just starting to handload, but you can bet I won't be as casual about punching paper for while!

What happens when you use a 270 win in a 30-06......
i Own a 270 win and my brother owns a 30-06 SPRING field. I reload the 270 for myself and my bro was looking for a better bullet, so I started to reload some Hornady 180grs, with dad today, and we compered the two, and thought what if you use a 270 win case in a 30-06 as the 270 fits right in to the 30-06…. And then my brother told me a story when he was out spotlighting and he was loading his mag (IN THE DARK), he saw this fox but it was just a bit too quick for him to fire, hi didn't see anything else that night, and as he was unloading his mag the first round looked a bit funny so he took a closer look and it was a (270 win).
Lucky.
Does anyone know what happens if you put a 270 win in to a 30-06
Just juries………… thanks
i think i know what would happen ;)

you would fireform a long neck 30-06 case, assuming that the bolt closed correctly.

The question here really depends on the cartridges involved, but as has already been mentioned, chambering a 270 round in a 30-06 chamber and pulling the trigger shouldn't do anything but form a normal 30-06, which is what you'll have when you extract that case.

It's called fireforming, and is a standard practice in a great many calibers. Many years ago I had a friend who routinely shot 300 H&H rounds in his 300 Wby Mag, simply because they were more readily availble in that area at the time, and substantially less expensive. The rounds went in as H&H, and were 300 Wby when extracted. After that, they were loaded normally as 300 Wby.

Along those same lines, I used to shoot a 7mm TCU for silhouette pistol competition. Case loss was very bad when using military brass (which Thompson recommended against, but I had tons of it at the time; it was GOING to get used), usually due to necks splitting. This was while trying to open the necks up with an expander mandral, the normal method of necking a case up to a larger diameter. Annealing helped at great deal, but I also found that simply firing 223 or 5.56mm ammo in the 7mm TCU chamber resulted in perfectly formed cases with virtually zero case loss or neck splitting. That became my normal method of making 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm TCU cases from that point forward.

Not that big a deal in many instances, and can be a required step in forming some wildcats.

There's a flip side, too. In some situations, it's possible to chamber and fire a case with a larger bullet diameter than the bore diameter of the intended cartridge. The 308 in a 30-06 has been mentioned, but loaded rounds of a 338 Federal or a 358 Win will also chamber in a 30-06; or a 270 or probaly a 25-06 for that matter. These, as you can imagine, would be an entirely different situation. Worst case I've ever actually seen involved a guy who fired a round of 300 Whisper (or 300 Blackout) in a 5.56mm upper by mistake. Same magazines, same type of upper, etc., which is definately something to remember for those of us who own both chamberings, and have both rounds on hand. Amazingly (to me, anyway) the gun held, and literally swagged that .308" diameter bullet down a .224" barrel and completely out the muzzle. I'm also aware of an instance in which a kitchen table gun plumber rechambered a 6.5 Jap Arisaka to 30-06, as he couldn't find a supply of Arisaka ammo. No mean feat here, as he had to grind off the pilot to do this, but he got it rechambered to accept 30-06 ammo. Now, please note that I said "rechambered", not "rebarreled." The original Japanese .263" barrel was left in place. He actually managed to kill a deer or two before taking it to a real gunsmith to find out why it kicked so much harder than any other 30-06 he'd ever fired. That gun is occasionally on display at the NRA museum. The Arisakas may not be the most stramlined actions ever produced, but they were one of the strongest.

Here's what happens when you use .270 Win. ammo in a .30-06 !

Funny you should ask...

This happened to my dad and me during a Montana whitetail antlerless hunt back in the mid 90's.

My dad has been an extrordinary shot all of his life - even at the age of 81 when we went to Montana. He had taken shots at 2 deer on the 1st and 2nd days of our 3-day hunt but had missed both including an easy shot at a walking, 100yd distant doe. When we got back to the ranch house he set up a box for a target on a sand hill and shot at only 40-50 yds using the hood of my truck as his rest. His 1st shot went wide left so he adjusted his scope 80 clicks right (about 9"-10" at that distance). The 2nd hit the very top of the box so he adjusted down about 50 clicks. His 3rd through 10th or 15th shots did the same.... all over the map - even after we checked to make sure his scope wasn't loose! He & I were getting quite frustrated, to say the least, because we hadn't bothered to bring a spare rifle.

Well, your guessed it already, I'm sure. As I was picking up the brass & sticking them back in my dad's factory ammo box I noticed that it was .270 Win. brass which is what I shoot. My dad shoots a .30-06 Springfield.

Needless to say, after he started shooting the CORRECT ammo and resighting his rifle he'd burned up wll over a box of cartridges and was mad.

I'd already shot 3 of the 4 antlerless deer that we had licenses for and I got the only chances at does the last day so I filled all 4 tags that trip. Dad felt quite cheated to say the least.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.