What happened to my Nightforce?

Fotis

OK after braking a few Leupies, I mounted my NIB NF 2.5x10x40mm Compact on my 378 WBY . A couple of shots later I get this.

What do you figure happened? What is this stuff? Every shot they would jump around! Very disappointed.... :(

CbCA1eh.jpg

uiC4uFp.jpg

I would confirm that the scope is the issue by trying another scope. If it is, send it back to NF. They are very good about quickly giving the scope a thorough test.

From what I can tell the scope worked great. This is the group I got with the 378 WBY with the
250 TTSX 113 gr of H4131 gave single digits SD and this is what she did at 3115 fps.

Send it back. I would ask for a new one. Its not like you got a bunch of use out of it before the contamination showed up inside the lens.

Steve

Probably some anodizing broke loose from the inside of the tube, it happens. I have had several scopes develop some internal debris, from a $300 SS to a very expensive USO last year. You can take it off and smack it on a phone book to see if it dislodges. Bad thing is that it can come back and dance around inside. I have to say that it would bother me and I would send it back, especially on an upper end (expensive) scope.

Called NF and emailed them picture. They confirmed it is loose debris.. They will have UPS pick it up and airmail it back to me ASAP. Nice!

When the particles are in focus like that, they are on the glass reticle. Unusual with Nightforce - not surprising they offered to fix it. More common with USO, because of their assembly environment and processes. Back in the day of wire reticles, this stuff didn't happen.

That is surprising that it showed up like that. I had the same thing happen with a zeiss and they wanted to charge me $400 or some crazy number like that to fix it. then another $50 to ship it back after repair... or they would ship it back unrepaired for free... I took it back. Nightforce is a much better company to work with.

Not to get on the Zeiss bashing, but I had a 3-9 Diavari-C that was on my .340 Weatherby for over 20 years, and it seemed to stop holding the zero. I sent it back to Zeiss, and they replaced the tractor spring and returned it to me, no charge. When I looked through it, there were several black specks in the field of view near the crosshair, similar to what the OP has in his Nightforce. I figured that if they screwed that up, what else did they miss. I sold it, and got a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14, and that never seemed right. Field of view seemed "tunnel vision", and focus wasn't crisp as I expected. I sold that and now have a Swaro 3.5-18 with BRH, and love it. Zeiss seemed to fall a little in the QC, IMHO.
I understand that another company (Minox or something like that) services the Zeiss scopes that are returned now.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts