What happened to gun shows?

Judging by you screen name and the fact that you mentioned the NW, I'm betting you're in Washington. The gun shows here went down hill after I594 a few years back.

It's not just the shows either. I used to be able to buy/trade 2-3 guns a month when the economy was a little slower. Now everybody wants new prices for well used stuff and then you need to add the hassle of doing the FFL transfer. It's easier to just buy online from a forum like this now.

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I did go just to get out of the house but there was one rifle yesterday that I found interesting, it was an older bull barrel Rem 700 in .223 with about a 30 year old leupold. Looked like a great varmint rifle. New in 1986 it was $500, they wanted $1450!! Then at another booth I found what looked like a 1st Gen ATACR, the guy wanted $1800 for it. Absolutely insane! This culture is going to price themselves out of a market.
both guns will still be on their tables next show same price because they don't want to really sell them

Judging by you screen name and the fact that you mentioned the NW, I'm betting you're in Washington. The gun shows here went down hill after I594 a few years back.

It's not just the shows either. I used to be able to buy/trade 2-3 guns a month when the economy was a little slower. Now everybody wants new prices for well used stuff and then you need to add the hassle of doing the FFL transfer. It's easier to just buy online from a forum like this now.
Yeah I'm from SW Washington but I've lived in Idaho for the last 6 years. It was supposed to be temp move for work move but couldn't stomach moving back there once I got here. The Rose City Gun show was always pretty good though.

Haven't been to the gun show here in about 15 years. Then, $8 for parking, $10 admission. Never anything less than retail and groups of gangbangers pooling their money to buy an AK.

I go to certain gun shows here in N.C. but not all of them. There is a local one here that goes on a 5 city circuit, continuously. Same vendors, same guns, same prices. I've never bought a firearm at any gun show. Usually, like others have stated, they want too much for them and are not what I'm interested in. I don't care for black rifles (and 1000's of accessories to go with 'em), 6.5 CM's, cheap scopes and knives and just junk in general. So I blow right through a gun show to find what I want if anything.

I'm always prowling for deals on powder, bullets, primers and brass (not necessarily in that order). The bigger shows seem to have lots more to offer for reloading components and great deals can be had. This year, at the "big" gun show, I bought 6 1lb bottles of RL-26 ($20ea/same lot), two boxes of bullets ($30ea Berger/Lapua) and a 1000 CCI BR2's ($50) for just under $250.00 out the door. There's no way I could have visited enough gun shops in a day or surfed the internet long enough to get those deals! Especially on the powder with its normal Haz(your money)Mat charges! I find most vendors will work with you on pricing when you buy a little more. If I had had $500 to spare, I would have bought more.

Normally, there are no "long range", heavy barrelled rifles here locally, if there is it's a Sendero at $12-1500.00. Not running down Sendero's or Remington's, IMO those rifles are not worth that kind of money, even with the "highly touted and praised" 5R barrel. I can get those cheaper at a gun shop, used, AND usually get the previous owners name/number so I can talk with him about the rifle. How he used (or abused) it, what kind/how much ammo's been through it, what kind of hunting or shooting he did and usually get a story or two during the conversation. I like to talk to the previous owner's. It "set's the stage" for my plans with the rifle and what direction I head off in as far as reloading for it. In my experience(s), most of the previous owners didn't shoot the rifle a lot and say "It was too dang heavy and long and never used it!". I figure once the newness wears off it gets displaced or replaced by a sporter weight barrelled rifle. Lucky me.

Alright, that's my windy thoughts/feelings on gun shows in general.

P.S. Last year, at same gun show, I bought 100 pcs of virgin, Norma .300RUM brass for $107!

I started going to gun shows to find respected priced guns for action to make Wildcats. plus to find reloading supplies reasonably priced especially hard to find brass I pick up 748 rounds of norma 7mm saum brass at a Dallas show for 200 dollars countless pounds of powder for 20 a can

Only reason for going to a gun/jewelry show for me is to get the feel of a certain gun I may be interested in if the LGS does not have it in stock. Otherwise I avoid them like he plague. Was a time that you could get great deals on used reloading equipment, powder and such...not anymore!

Only reason for going to a gun/jewelry show for me is to get the feel of a certain gun I may be interested in if the LGS does not have it in stock. Otherwise I avoid them like he plague. Was a time that you could get great deals on used reloading equipment, powder and such...not anymore!
you still can if you know the vendors will well .if I find something reasonable I call friends who might want it if I don't in the dfw area I'm known as the crystal gayle guy because I wear her tshirts to gun shows and some of them I get free because of it

The last couple gun shows I have been to have been a complete disappointment with the one I was at today to be included. Whatever happend to being able to get a used gun for a decent price? I feel like people are way too attached to their stuff. There wasn't a single gun or optic worth buying in the whole place that I could go buy cheaper, and new off the rack at any retail store. Anyways, rant over. Maybe it's just a trend in the the northwest. I have to go to one every couple years to be reminded how disappointing they can be.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.