What happened to goodgrouper?

Derek M.

Just curious. I remember reading his posts in the pasts, but have not seen any recently. Though, I've also been away for the better part of last year up until the middle of this year with popping in only randomly.

Unfortunately, he decided to not participate in the forum anymore some time ago. There is a thread he started regarding this somewhere.

oh, ok.

I saw his last post after Christmas last year but didn't see any thread about him no longer posting.

Last edited:
While I didn't get to read the final post that was the last straw, so I don't know how over the top it was, but he was telling the publicity/marketing/bullsh*tter from Henson Alluminum Tipped bullets that he doesn't buy his crap, at least in essence. It turned into quite a flame war and there was some bad blood flowing on the forum.

The reason I called the marketing guy what I just did becase his claims were SO over the top it was unbelievable, average consistent 0.1 moa groups from a factory Remington 700 338 RUM with their bullets, his reason for no photographs of the groups? "they were so common why photograph them?" then any valid arguements or detailed expansion tests done by well known members of this forum where countered with comments like "you do know the pointy end goes forward when seating a bullet, right?" and other complete nonsense while the tests showed that the HATs had zero expansion and just bent in the middle.

So yes, that's why we lost goodgrouper, he got sidetracked while trying to defend the hard earned bucks of the forum members. Good intent but got off track, and well, paying sponsor > experienced knowledgeable member...

Ok. So is the aluminum tipped guy still a sponsor? Or is he now gone as well? Not my forum but I thought gg had a lot to offer with his experience.

As to showing pictures of groups with bullets, that is still a subjective piece of data in that the poster could set up a target at any distance they want, shoot a few rounds, and claim it to be whatever.

I give benefit of doubt, and trust in the honor system. Not sure why anyone would want to embelish on groups, especially if they are taking down game.

I agree, goodgrouper had a TON to offer this site, and no, the Alluminium tipped bullet guys are gone too. They had great BCs, I know Kirby has shot a few, but they were very expensive and the way they were marketed was horrible.

It was not groups, the data posted by forum members were terminal results into a wide varity of media, shot side by side with known well performing hunting bullets (to prove the media initiates expansion as it should).

He is still on some other sites, a search on here may turn up his goodbye thread.

I thought it was because of huskemaw scopes not the henson bullets. BTW I did some testing with the 265gr HATS but only on animals.

800 yard whitetail doe

IMAG0039.jpg

870 yard cow elk

trip055.jpg

As much as I respect GG I did not agree with his testing methods on those bullets. As far as the guy who represented Henson GG and I were in complete agreement. If it were not for that guy I bet the henson bullets would be more widely used. I agree with GGs assessment of the huskemaw also, but am not as outspoken. I think a real asset to this community was lost.

well, I'd sure like to hear/read the assessment on the Huskemaw scopes as I am poised to by 2!!!

GOOD??

BAD???

well, I'd sure like to hear/read the assessment on the Huskemaw scopes as I am poised to by 2!!!

GOOD??

BAD???

Look it up unless the thread was deleted. As far as my assessment based on handling one of these....junk. Learn to dial using MOA get a PDA with exbal or one of the other fine programs out there. Try a npr2 reticule if you just refuse to dial.

Look it up unless the thread was deleted. As far as my assessment based on handling one of these....junk. Learn to dial using MOA get a PDA with exbal or one of the other fine programs out there. Try a npr2 reticule if you just refuse to dial.

I searched GG posts and didn't see anything about the Huskemaw scopes. If junk, that is curious since the same company makes parts for both Huskemaw and NF.

I have a 5.5x22 with the NPR2 reticle.

I searched GG posts and didn't see anything about the Huskemaw scopes. If junk, that is curious since the same company makes parts for both Huskemaw and NF.

I have a 5.5x22 with the NPR2 reticle.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/best-west-really-best-47550/

The couple rifles I've shot with Huskemaws worked as advertised and seemed to work well and fast, not my cup of tea as I prefer a Nightforce type reticule and dialing to a ballistics program. The two guys I know would not by another but it had little to do with the optic and more to do with the company.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.