What grain weight for 300 WSM

For what it worth, a friend asked me to make a heavy bullet load for his Browning A-bolt in 300 WSM. This is a lightweight rifle with a short barrel of 22" with a BOSS and a 2.8" magazine. I stuffed some 230s in the cartridge so deep we joked it was sitting on the flashhole. Worked up to 61 gr of RL-17 and got an accurate load with velocity of 2735 fps.

This is before the 215s hit the market. If I were to make another load for that rifle or any other 300 WSM I would choose the 215 Berger hybrid.

In case anyone thinks the 215 hybrid target bullet is not a good idea read Broz's account on its performance. This is a very long thread with many kills. Distance, impact velocity, entrance and exit holes are shown. There is no doubt of the abilities of this bullet:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/comparing-the-berger-210-vld-to-the-215-hybrid.88657/page-6

I shot the 180gr Accubond and Partition for years with great accuracy and results in my 300 WSM. I moved up to the 200 gr ELDX when it came out. Got it running 2952 fps using RL17. Was a flat out hammer on elk. I have moved on to Hammer Bullets and they are the only hunting bullet I will use in any of my rifles now. I feel the 174gr Hammer Hunter is the ideal bullet

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.