What Got Everbody Started Reloading ?

My father also started me reloading.......I think that he did it for cost savings primarily, he didn't have much extra, and he didn't shoot a lot, he just got us shooting and hunting. Shotgun, handgun, and rifle, we loaded it all, and he also introduced me to casting. When I look back at it, it was a way for him to create family time while we were at home.....and created the satisfaction of "Making something" rather than just buying it. I also owe him a lot....He was a great example about putting his children ahead of his own wants and desires.
Once I started reloading on my own, the bug of perfection/premium bullets caught on and it kinda switched from cost savings to better ammo. Fast forward to now, and I'm too invested to do anything else, so I just reload:) . I won't say I save money, but I will say I shoot more because I reload. Many good memories at the reloading bench, and I hope I can pass that on to my children!

I initially got into it some 25yrs ago due to my first varmint/deer gun in 6mm Rem. Now I reload five pistol calibers, two shotguns, and eleven rifle cartridges. I think I could purchase a new car with all I have invested in my shooting toys. But I never really did it for the cost I did it for the tinkering and taking game with something I created. Last time I bought loaded ammo.....have no idea. Keeps my mind occupied

I started reloading 58 years ago after meeting a guy who was on the rifle team of my gun club; we were on the rifle team together. I liked deer hunting and wanted to shoot more and save money, so......got into reloading for my hunting rifles. At that time 4831 powder was around $.50 a pound and came in waxed paper bags as were a lot of pulled 30 caliber military bullets, so a lot of 30-06s got loaded!! I never really did any precision reloading until I came across this site while doing some research on some load data a number of years ago. And....until recently I built a .270 AI and had to learn how to fire form cases the proper way, as well as get the best performance out of my rounds.

Would like to add that I started with and old Pacific "C" press, a CH full length sizing die and Lee seating die, and a Hornady powder measure. If you wanted to change cartridges, the ram had to be changed instead of changing shell holders. Eventually I machined one of the rams to accept shell holders.

Last edited:
My Dad got me started at around 11.Then I slowly took over,which included sighting in his rifle too.Ive tried to teach my son,who is now 25,but Ive had I think? A too well stocked ammo area, he shoots til he runs out then is like.I have 4 bullets to hunt with.:confused: He has done the process a few times though..After him being in the Marines,he is not a low volume shooter,think he does follow up shots automatically:rolleyes:

Like many I started reloading for the cost savings. Dad & Mom bought me a Lee hand loader for Christmas or birthday? When I was 13 or 14....we didn't have a wood hammer so I used a chunk of 2x4 to pound out those 303 British rounds. That was 1964 or 1965.....primers were less than .50 a flat, powder was less than $2/lb, bullets were $1 to 2 a hundred. Load costs were less than $1/20 rounds. While store bought cartridges were $2 or more, no way I could afford that.
Moved on to better equipment bought a Herters "U" frame in 1969 (which I still use today).
Hobby has evolved into assembling mostly Savage builds including chambering Ackley improved and other wildcats.
Only shooting about 3000 rounds a year now but still striving for that "one hole" group.
With all the disadvantages of technology and modern times, one good thing has been the creation of these user forums where ideas & experiences are exchanged for the advancement of our sport & heritage.
Good shooting,
Randy

Reloading equipment and other stuff today is really well made and quite a bit cheaper in adjusted dollars. Reloaderes today are much better off than we were 50 years ago.
I agree 100% It was harder to get equipment and it cost a lot when you could find it.
This resonates with me. It was kind of like a moment of validation when the first groundhog bit the dust from one of my handloads. I started back in 2008. I loaded primarily for my 700 VLS in .22-250 and my A-bolt in .243.
Grew up groundhog hunting on Maryland Pa line with a 700BDL 22-250 varmint gun. Farmers used to welcome us with open arms. Mower blade into a mound and they were done for the day, cow step in a drop hole and they had big problems. When the hay fields were first mowed it was a good day or two of shooting, that's where I learned how to shoot small targets at long range. Dave

Last edited:
I had been interested in hand loading for several years for the "cost savings" and accuracy benefits, but I finally jumped in and started reloading immediately after the Newtown shooting when popular cartridges vanished from the retail shelves.

First and most obvious reason was to be able to supply my own ammo and not rely on the retail market which fluctuates with the political tide ... both in price and availability. I got in on the cheap end with a Lee classic turret and currently load 3 different cartridges on it with pretty good success. I'm about to move into my first wildcat cartridge so already having the basic reloading knowledge and skills will be nice as I move into the realm of shooting cartridges with no commercially available ammo.

I grew up shooting and hunting in Mexico, ammo wasn't available so reloading was the only option. I learned at a young age helping my dad, we used to shoot a lot so he had me help him. Especially with shotguns, we went through 300 rounds in 2 days between my dad, brother and me, we used to hit the ducks early, followed by dove and the occasional gambel's quail. We stacked them up, it was lots of fun. For our rifles we focused on accuracy for our silhouette shooting competitions.

It was time we got to spend together that I miss to this day. Lots of great memories.

My dad and Grandpa got me started. As trapshooters i was reloading shotgun shells from a young age, it was a cost saving thing for them. It also allowed Grandpa to make some magnum duck loads with #5 lubloy shot, I still have some of his loads from the 80's. We also shot .280's for elk and deer hunting and it got us the bullets and loads my dad wanted. My dad loved the .280 and always thought the big magnums were not needed for the shots we were taking, funny how things come around again.

Wouldn't that be something to see.......Reloading taught in school.
I'm 56. My little hometown schooling was excellent in many regards. At 12yrs old I took hunters safety, snowmobile safety, and reloading -at school. I was allowed to bring in brass, bullets & dies. Primers and powder were provided at cost(to my parents). So I brought in various hunting brass from people & loaded per known instruction and/or SAAMI standards in manuals.

Every year I took a handful of electives like this.
And correction to above; it was 7th grade

I started out to make more accurate hunting ammo, mostly 22-250, and some 25-06 and 270. I never could make better ammo than what Federal Premium sold, late 80's. I took a breather, lol
I fired back up loading pistol and 223 ammo in bulk in the early 90's after buying my first AR 15. Saving money was the goal now.
The transition to precision LR rds was easier the 2nd go after understanding more. Having Quickload, the only time I have opened a reloading manual in yrs is to find case dimensions.
I am done loading pistol ammo for good, and do not pick up fired 223 brass anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts