What functions can an iPhone perform in the wilderness?

Last I heard, iPhone featured 5 satellite tracking apps available so it should work as well as any OTC GPS device you might otherwise use. Good test would be to embark on a game scouting expedition before hunting season in the region you intend to visit on opening day and check you apps. performance in real time.

I use my phone as a gps, topo map, alarm clock, camera, shooting balistic program, flashlight, magnifying glass for map reading, digiscoping

I use my iPhone for the camera only since where I hunt I seldom have service. I use my Garmin Rino for all navigational functions and to communicate with my hunting buddy when necessary. When I finally do get service, I call or text the wife to stay out of trouble. Although I carry a portable charger, I use it first to keep the Rino charged since it get's me back to camp late in the evening.

I use my iPhone for the same as Wyodog, just turn it on to airplane mode and the battery lasts for ages. The gps is as good as any major brand gps also heard it has the same chipset as the Garmin but I don't know how true that is.

Rob

Simple answer is yes, they have a gps chip which works very well, in Australia I use Gaia gps app with the iPhone 5 in aeroplane mode no problems in heavy timber, overcast and rainy weather in the Victorian Alps.

I've become cautious relying on GPS on a phone. Open up in the mountains, OK. But if their is any kind of obstruction…canyon, trees, etc…watch out. The reception is nowhere near as good as a dedicated Garmin.

Several years ago I was turkey hunting a forested area of Indiana relatively rugged by Eastern standards. I had had no issues in this property with a Garmin previous years. So I left it at home and carried my Samsung with Gaia. Big mistake. I could not get reception, and risked getting lost and turned into an area of state land big enough to make it a big bad day. I ended up getting myself out by dead reckoning without the device, lesson learned.

I use Gaia without cell reception all the time. Works like a champ on the Iphone. Have figured out that I can use the phone during the day and have my 10,000 mah battery charging with solar during the day. Recharge phone at night. I also have a smaller 5000 mah battery pack that I carry to help extend the phone charge during the day using GPS. Run a Sun tactics 12 watt panel and the big battery is always good to go at the end of the day to get ready for the next days hunting. Cell phone seems to work better than the Garmin. Just have to make sure to have a good setup.

I use my phone as a gps, topo map, alarm clock, camera, shooting balistic program, flashlight, magnifying glass for map reading, digiscoping

+1 on airplane mode.
As stated I don't like to rely solely on any gps, it gets doubled down with a map.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.