What ever happened to the WSSM’s

If I remember correctly the first Winchester fifles that came out for these calibres especially the 243 super short destroyed throats within about 600 rounds so they had the idea of plating the bores and through all of this they were never really accurate rifles in the first place just the ones I came across here in Australia.

One thing to remember, Winchester has the worst system for replenishing ammunition and brass than any other manufacturer. They will run a 'batch' at one point in time then let you wait 3-4 years for the next batch.

Second thing was that Olympic Arms bought out all of the manufacturing run of .25 WSSM for several years in order to make their own Wildcat AR version, the .300 OSSM which was loaded by HSM. You couldn't find hide nor hair of anything .25 WSSM for years until Olympic folded that idea up (idiots). Claims were that it was loaded to match the .30-06 and approach the .300 Win. Mag. Easily disproved.

Ammunition can be found but you have to search for it, not just a couple of the big guys but the smaller, out of the way places. I found some today with prices running pretty high in my opinion. I load my own so I look for and even ask for WSSM brass long before I might need it. I have found all three, .223, .243 and .25 WSSM brass from various suppliers and from a few individuals want to trim down their supplies.

The AR style requires a learning curve to build. It's not just bolt it together.

On the other hand, bolt action rifles are fairly simple when you devise the magazine features. Quite a few years ago I was building long range bolt action rifles using the .25 WSSM which proved to be very accurate in single shots and magazine fed rifles. This was enhanced by the marketing of the 131 Ace bullets then and the 133/135 Bergers now. The .223 and the .243 make great varmint rifles as well as using the .243 for deer hunting with the appropriate bullets.

Enjoy!

:)

Poor brass from probably not the best layed out design. Rifles were not twisted for where the market went. The 243 wssm really didn't do anything the 243 couldn't do, the 25 caliber had minimal success in certain areas but not much. The 223 was and still is one of the fastest ever made 223 factory rounds. But was labeled as a barrel burner back before that was cool, and wasn't twisted well for bullet weights it's boiler room was setup for.

Still love mine.
Always had the thought that, because there's so many projectiles in this caliber that are short and blunt and conducive or OAL concerns, a .35 wssm would have been a neat idea for an AR or even a super tidy little bolt gun with some THUMP capability

Always had the thought that, because there's so many projectiles in this caliber that are short and blunt and conducive or OAL concerns, a .35 wssm would have been a neat idea for an AR or even a super tidy little bolt gun with some THUMP capability
It was done by Dedicated Technologies (DTECH) I believe...specifically for the Indiana crown maybe??? Last I heard, Mike has left the game so I'm not sure if it's still offered.

The 358WSSM

Honestly the 35 and up wildcats were probably better ideas than the origionals. The b&m super shorts were pretty neat little items as well.

Your in Canada and I see more donors come up than here so it's probably worth a deep dive. Not as viable with the current price for donors in the us. For as much as people poo poo'd them they sell for a fair whack nowadays.

Last summer while looking for a new 7mm-08 i ran accross a find i couldn't pass up.
Clerk picked up a rifle & had confused look on his face.
He never heard of 25 WSSM.
After being prepared for sticker shock, i was unprepared for the $400 on the tag.
Handed clerk my ID & credit card!
Now proud owner of a Browning A Bolt SSA in 25 WSSM.

Graf's had 25 WSSM cases.

Shoots 115gr Berger VLD & 120gr Partitions just fine.

Last summer while looking for a new 7mm-08 i ran accross a find i couldn't pass up.
Clerk picked up a rifle & had confused look on his face.
He never heard of 25 WSSM.
After being prepared for sticker shock, i was unprepared for the $400 on the tag.
Handed clerk my ID & credit card!
Now proud owner of a Browning A Bolt SSA in 25 WSSM.

Graf's had 25 WSSM cases.

Shoots 115gr Berger VLD & 120gr Partitions just fine.
Very good find. I would have snatched that up to. If you need more brass this guy is sitting on a ton at a good price. I have not bought from him yet but I'm thinking about grabbing a couple bags just to be safe. Beings both kids have this rifle.

We have two 25 wssms, both win 70s. One I had a fast twist barrel on and the other still factory. Both shot great.
We bought a really nice 25 WSSM Model 70 Ultimate Shadow for Jill to shoot deer size and to hunt coyotes. It didn't shoot great when we first got it and using factory Winchester Ammo. We were going to Africa in another week so just thought that Jill had to get used to the rifle and also need to get broke in. Well Jill shot several animals on the trip and when we got home i took it to the range to get it tuned up. Really had high hope for the cartridge and rifle. I had a matching Model 70 in .325WSM. The more I shot it the greater the groups opened up.
Sent it back to Winchester which is now Browning. That rifle was made during the Labor dispute at Winchester and the pending sale to Browning. Did hear that the some Winchester employees were so disgruntled that firearms made at the period were very POOR quality and we were not the only people that got firearms that needed to be returned/replaced. Customer service was told just get rid of all the problem firearms.
Browning contacted us and said that they would not send the rifle back due to safety concerns. I told them if there is a problem with the barrel, which I thought there was, just spin a new barrel on it and send it back. Browning said NO new barrel or work on the rifle. I said well just send it back to us and I would fix it myself. They told me that they could not return the rifle due to "Safety", but they would replace with and "A" Bolt and charge me if there were any difference in price. That really go me mad. I said that i wanted a refund for what I paid. I had to provide all documentation before a refund. I provided the receipts and they only paid for the sale price and no shipping costs or TAX. This really made me even more mad... I vowed that we would never buy another Browning product.
We didn't blame Winchester and even now that they are made by Browning. Browning should have stepped up and took extra care of everyone that issues during that time. They could have just put a new barrel on and we would have been extremely happy and super excited about the 25WSSM.
Still wish we had one but going to make a 25 Super or 25X284. Have several thousand Berger 133 & 135gr bullets, plenty of Lapua brass, and Competition dies. Just need a Reamer, Barrels and a stock or chassis.
Still have high regard for the 25WSSM. We donated our left over Brass & Ammo to a LRH member for his daughter. Since then he has sent us pictures of his daughter harvesting deer with the 25WSSM!

I will say, the 243 and 25 I couldn't care less about…for whatever stupid reason my brain has always low-key pined for a .223 wssm. It's just such an extreme cartridge in so many ways.

On my to do…maybe someday list. A .22 creed and a 458 Lott would be sooooo much easier and more practical but dang it, the heart wants what the heart wants and 2 oddballs my heart wants are a .223 wssm and a 475 capstick.

What ever happened to the WSSM caliber? I rarely ever see anything mentioned about them and ammo is hard to find.

Was it just a passing "AR" caliber round? I have a custom AR in 243WSSM somewhere in the back of one of my safes.

Thankfully, they were "stillborn"! 😉 memtb