WHAT ELECTRONIC POWDER THROWER?

I have to wonder how good they are, and with no back-up to check them against.
Don't wonder... because they are absolutely horrific. I've tested about a dozen of them against my Prometheus and the pocket scales averaged nearly 2 grains of drift across a 100rnd session. If you run them on their power supply from the wall outlet, its marginally better.

Bottom line is that most people simply are not asking very much of their scales, and as such their deficiencies are almost never discovered. As long as a shooter is able to cluster shots with some degree of regularity, they don't often spend any extra time looking to do better. It just doesn't take a very good scale to get to 1/2moa. It's because that is so easy to achieve these days, with the quality of custom rifles, their barrels, individual components, and optics being so unbelievably good... a guy can experience half a grain of drift across a session and it will just get lost in the white noise of that shooters performance.

Under more controlled situations with a reloading bench full of the best equipment available in the ecosystem, you can see which station is holding you back more clearly. As one operation gets upgraded, you discover others which could be improved. It wasn't until I developed the CPS that I realized my powder measure was a problem, and so it goes that way always.

Of all the cheap dispensers the chargemaster is the best. It reads to a tenth but if you tune it and do the insert mod it will throw to .05 and even lower if you manually trickle it, which defeats the purpose somewhat. Erik Cortina has a video on you tube checking his with a lab balance. PS The Hornady is junk. I have one.

The next level is the V3 system. You upgrade to a magnetic force balance scale not a strain gauge. It will throw to .02 in about 12- 15 seconds. This is very popular with the F class guys and is probably your best bang for the buck.

If money is not a concern or you just want the best you have the promethius as mentioned.

Lastly what all these buy you is time. Speed with accuracy. Dont sleep on a tuned mechanical scale. I have a 30 yo ohaus that is very accurate just slow trickling each charge.

I picked up the Frankfort Arsenal about a year ago for $170 from Natchez and I have zero complaints so far. But I'm not after benchrest precision either

i have a PACT that iv had for 20 years. Never have any issues. mine is the old version not as fast as the newer one but works great. It is separate of the scale and you need both but you can use the scale on its own.
I have the same PACT as you, bought it over 20 years ago. Love it.

So I'm in the market for a electronic powder thrower. I've never owned one so I need some input. Like everything I can ask 3 different buddies and I'll get 3 different answers. I've cked out some different brands and see good ratings from 200$ models to 1k$. My question for the money what would you recommend. Thanks guys
I have never seen any thing mechanical or electronic that was completely accurate every load . If average is good with you then by all means get one pistol I can see but long range and precision belong to the Manuel loader . I reload all my rifle rounds by hand and are measured manually and there is no + \ - to mine they weigh exactly the same . Just me .

I have never seen any thing mechanical or electronic that was completely accurate every load . If average is good with you then by all means get one pistol I can see but long range and precision belong to the Manuel loader . I reload all my rifle rounds by hand and are measured manually and there is no + \ - to mine they weigh exactly the same . Just me .
Just nit picking, but your "manual" is a mechanical device. Maybe more reliable, but still mechanical

Adam MacDondald's kernel counter is my choice. I come from a Biotech background and have several electronic scales, including one that cost over $3ooo two decades ago. The AND scale that is the base of Adam's system is very stable and repeatable. I have had several reloading grade scales, including a Lyman that they were courteous enough to replace when it became unstable. The scientific scales, like the AND and Satorius are more stable than the reloading grade wonders from China.

What are your expectations in regards to accuracy or consistency?

.1 grain or better?

What powder(s) do you use?

Is this for pistol, rifle, precision long range rifle, hunting ammo or what? How much are you willing to spend?

Do you already have an accurate beam scale to check the accuracy of the digital scale that is usually paired with the auto thrower?

I have been using an RCBS Charge master and have had good results. At first, I was very disappointed in the product. It consistently threw a charge .2-.3 grains over. Then a member of this forum suggested the "McDonald's straw" upgrade. My over throws reduced to 1 in 9. Next, I started closing the plastic shield as the powder was being dispensed. This is supposed to alleviate 'drift'. My over/under throws now average 1 in 35 with IMR 4895 powder

I chronograph my shots and keep my velocity SD below 12 fps. I would suggest that inconsistency is more influenced by neck tension than a difference of .005 grains powder.

Just my opinion like everyone else.

Again what are your expectations?

I have that same one, that RCBS was selling at the time. No issues, I won't replace it till it dies. Also probably 18 years old.
I had that same one made by PACT and branded RCBS, purchased it in Y2k, it died first of December and purchased the RCBS Chargemaster, it is faster than the old one, I like it, just hope it lasts as long as the old one. I was able to purchase it on sale for 299.99, regular price is 499.99. I show them to be 379.99 right now at Midsouth Shooters Supply.

What are your expectations in regards to accuracy or consistency?

.1 grain or better?

What powder(s) do you use?

Is this for pistol, rifle, precision long range rifle, hunting ammo or what? How much are you willing to spend?

Do you already have an accurate beam scale to check the accuracy of the digital scale that is usually paired with the auto thrower?

I have been using an RCBS Charge master and have had good results. At first, I was very disappointed in the product. It consistently threw a charge .2-.3 grains over. Then a member of this forum suggested the "McDonald's straw" upgrade. My over throws reduced to 1 in 9. Next, I started closing the plastic shield as the powder was being dispensed. This is supposed to alleviate 'drift'. My over/under throws now average 1 in 35 with IMR 4895 powder

I chronograph my shots and keep my velocity SD below 12 fps. I would suggest that inconsistency is more influenced by neck tension than a difference of .005 grains powder.

Just my opinion like everyone else.

Again what are your expectations?
.1 accuracy is probably good for what I do. I just think a push button method would encourage me to reload more often instead of use the hand weighting method. Don't compete just enjoy tiny little groups. Most of my loads are 300 Rum 338 rum, 300 wthrby 257 wthrby etc. retumbo, h1000 , rl26 H4831sc some exteriminator. No pistol yet! Can't justify anything over 500$. I do backup my digital with a beem scale every 10 rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.