WHAT ELECTRONIC POWDER THROWER?

wysako

So I'm in the market for a electronic powder thrower. I've never owned one so I need some input. Like everything I can ask 3 different buddies and I'll get 3 different answers. I've cked out some different brands and see good ratings from 200$ models to 1k$. My question for the money what would you recommend. Thanks guys

The best available is the Prometheus Gen2. That's what I run... and after having used all other available options over the past decade, it is the undisputed apex of powder measuring.

i have a PACT that iv had for 20 years. Never have any issues. mine is the old version not as fast as the newer one but works great. It is separate of the scale and you need both but you can use the scale on its own.
I have that same one, that RCBS was selling at the time. No issues, I won't replace it till it dies. Also probably 18 years old.

I like the looks of the v3 autotrickler also. Did you find problems with that set up Orkan?
It's definitely a great option for the money. Spilled kernels hiding stealthily behind the weighing tray, but still on the pan, was pretty annoying. Having to deal with funnels and manually transporting powder in the pan totally sucks once you have experienced not having to do it. Electronic scales in the $500 range most certainly drift across a session, so I tried a $5,000 electronic scale... and that was definitely better, but I still didn't trust it. I couldn't "see" what it was doing.

The basic auto trickler setup with auto throw is a decent option for the budget minded. Probably better than the RCBS varieties. However, it's also most definitely not on the same level as a Prometheus. Full mechanical weighing, dumping straight into the case. It just doesn't get any better.

Thanks for that explanation. I can agree with difficulty trusting a cheap electronic. You are to a level where you can appreciate the accuracy and consistency, I and most others are not IMO. Otoh, my ammo shoots great and I kill what I shoot at and that's the whole point I guess.

On the topic of cheap electronic scales, I've seen these starter reloading kits for sale that come with "pocket" scales instead of the basic balance beam scales. I have to wonder how good they are, and with no back-up to check them against.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.