What does your sheep gun weigh?

9.5 lbs scoped and ready to rock.....beautiful gun..probably too pretty for sheep..and I like big girls....but back go the drawing board

View attachment 245382
New to the forum, figured I'd share my sheep hunting setup. 28 nosler weighs in at 8.2lbs with scope. 26" proof barrel, manners eh5 stock, rem 700 action. Running an atlas bipod these days.
Before I say your scale is off what proof barrel did you use?. My 30 Sherman 26" proof, ti brake, built on a pierce ti with to bolt and firing pin, to action screws, eh5 with lighter recoil pad from Hastings, Talley rings and March scope comes in at 8.5lbs. So maybe my scale is off a bit also. I also have a clone in short action in 6.5 creed.
The eh5 I love but adds some weight which is why I went ti for eveything. I love that stock for hiking and offhand shots.

I just booked a Mountain Goat hunt for Sept of 2023. Up in BC. I'm building a mountain rifle in 284 Norma. CF 24 inch barrel, CF stock with a Remington 700 LA which I'm going to blue print myself. PTG one piece bolt. Still have not made up my mind of which scope. I've been parshall to Vortex.

It's doable for sure tell me more about the build
Bartlein CF 7MM barrel debating 20" or 22" as i will have a can on it most of the time. Proof stock, Trigger Tech. then debating between Defiance or Borden action. If my math adds up should be just below 6LBS with 20" or just above with 22" barrel.

Built on my Terminus Apollo Lite action.
View attachment 205675View attachment 205676
Joel,

Nice rig - and nice starting weight. Can you tell me what it clocks in at, fully rigged up?

Scope, rings, caps, bubble level (sunshade if you run one) brake, bipod and ammo in it? I ask because at the end of the day you will be hauling all of that up a mtn not just the bare wt. shown on your scale...I'm guessing at least 8.5 lbs closer to 9 right?

I should add I am trying to build a 300SS in something like yours and want to see what I am really dealing with

thanks

Last edited:
Bartlein CF 7MM barrel debating 20" or 22" as i will have a can on it most of the time. Proof stock, Trigger Tech. then debating between Defiance or Borden action. If my math adds up should be just below 6LBS with 20" or just above with 22" barrel.
I have a 22" on my creed which is as long as I would dare go with a can 20" would be better.
That weight is gonna be tough to make. Mine came in at just under 6 but that was with a eh5 which does add weight but I also went with a pierce full ti action and bolt with lots of other ti parts and carbon to make it lighter.
Why not go with a pierce ti action for it? If weight is a deal why not. I make the barreled action as light as possible so I can add things I want like a thumbhole stock. I have to and both are as good as any action I've had.

Joel,

Nice rig - and nice starting weight. Can you tell me what it clocks in at, fully rigged up?

Scope, rings, caps, bubble level (sunshade if you run one) brake, bipod and ammo in it? I ask because at the end of the day you will be hauling all of that up a mtn not just the bare wt. shown on your scale...I'm guessing at least 8.5 lbs closer to 9 right?

I should add I am trying to build a 300SS in something like yours and want to see what I am really dealing with

thanks
I never put it on the scale all dressed up. I removed the NXS and put an NX8 on it after load development. My bottom metal and mag weighs 4.2 oz. I would estimate the rifle to be 8 lbs all in.
I'll carry an 8 lb rifle that shoots 1.00" at 800 yds and 4.00" at 1,571 yards all day and tomorrow. 😉

I never put it on the scale all dressed up. I removed the NXS and put an NX8 on it after load development. My bottom metal and mag weighs 4.2 oz. I would estimate the rifle to be 8 lbs all in.
I'll carry an 8 lb rifle that shoots 1.00" at 800 yds and 4.00" at 1,571 yards all day and tomorrow. 😉
I'd carry a 15 pounder if it meant that I could shoot as consistently and tight as you do- very nice!