What does your sheep gun weigh?

RemHutch50

Going to Alaska in august for my first dall sheep hunt. My Rem Mod 7 in 7 saum with Talley lightweight rings and Vortex Razor LHT w/ 3 rounds came in at 8.3#. Just sent it to smith to be bedded into a McMillan stock, flute bolt and install a brake.
should loose about 12oz. Hope to be under 7.5# all in.

Idaho Hunter1

What caliber is being run with the most consistency across these rigs? Also what is the range most intend to top out at? I acquired a HS Precision 6.5 SAUM in there professional lightweight and with a 24” barrel it is 6lbs 1oz bare. Threw a leupold on it and am just at 7lbs plus ammo. I feel comfortable out to 700yds with it on the range and low mtns but now I’m second guessing whether or not to get a larger caliber and accept the weight. Thoughts?

Husky user

For my first two sheep hunts I used a Husqvarna 8000 in a high tech glass stock weighed 7lbs9oz loaded.(Swarovski 3 2X10X42)
That was also my primary elk rifle.(7mm Rem Mag)
Now I have a Weatherby Backcountry 6.5 RPM that weighs 6.6lbs empty with a 4.5X14X 40 30mm Leupold That I would use for sheep, antelope,etc

shphtr

Been hunting Dall Sheep in AK for 30 plus years. I would estimate that 90%+ have been shot between 75 and 150 yards. My light weight sheep rifles weigh 6.8 to 7.5 (rarely 8.0 lbs) hunt ready which means rifle, rings, bases, scope, 3 in mag (usually run mag calibers since see more bears sheep hunting than bear hunting), sling and 3 rounds on the stock. Name of the game is spot and stalk. Good luck as it is always better to be a lucky hunter than a good hunter.

SheepShapeAK

LRH Team Member
What caliber is being run with the most consistency across these rigs? Also what is the range most intend to top out at? I acquired a HS Precision 6.5 SAUM in there professional lightweight and with a 24” barrel it is 6lbs 1oz bare. Threw a leupold on it and am just at 7lbs plus ammo. I feel comfortable out to 700yds with it on the range and low mtns but now I’m second guessing whether or not to get a larger caliber and accept the weight. Thoughts?
Sheep are easy to kill. You don't need a big bore to do it, but if in bear country it doesn't hurt to have a big bore. Plenty of sheep killed in Alaska every year with 6.5's.