What does this grouping mean?

Rflshootr

Definitely some improvement but I think the load is still out of tune a bit. Next trip, I'd load 5 rounds exactly the same for comparison, 5 rounds .005 longer and 5 rounds .010 longer with out changing anything else.
Clean the barrel with solvent and a brush to get at least most of the copper out before your next trip. Hoppe's will take the copper out but it takes some soak time. If you have a more aggressive copper solvent, that would speed things up a bit. Then once you have the copper out, put a thin coat of thin oil in the bore. Load a couple of extra rounds to fire first as foulers, then shoot your groups.

Last edited:

David Emerson

LRH Team Member
I get these groups with a bit of regularity. The pairs won't necessarily always be in that same spacial orientation. Can anyone tell me what is most likely to be causing it?
This is just a guess because you give few details but as it is I am thinking a loose base or loose mounts. Or a bad scope.Shoot 10 rounds a minute apart. That will tell the story. If you get 2 groups either the scope is bad or something is loose. Also take the action out of the stock. If you see a shiny spot the barrel is bearing on the stock.

Last edited:

Ryan Tockstein

I'd beg, borrow or steal a different scope to try. If the talleys are tight, they should be fine.
I don't know anyone that shoots, so I think I'd either be looking at doing a warranty claim on mine with vortex, or selling it and getting a different brand.

The first option would be a total crapshoot, second option a crapshoot to a degree unless I spend big $$. I think I'd try to either find a used one of a reputable brand from a seller that knows it holds zero on a high recoil gun, or find a more affordable new scope that is reputable, like from swfa.

I definitely don't need a 16x exposed turret scope right now, so that helps me on price. But then I'd also have to get rings for a 1in tube.

What are your thoughts on the swfa 2.5-10 scope? I've heard nothing but good things about swfa scopes, unlike vortex.

Another option is a used Maven rs2 on another site, but I haven't found enough review info on Maven to trust getting one yet

Ryan Tockstein

Definitely some improvement but I think the load is still out of tune a bit. Next trip, I'd load 5 rounds exactly the same for comparison, 5 rounds .005 longer and 5 rounds .010 longer with out changing anything else.
Clean the barrel with solvent and a brush to get at least most of the copper out before your next trip. Hoppe's will take the copper out but it takes some soak time. If you have a more aggressive copper solvent, that would speed things up a bit. Then once you have the copper out, put a thin coat of thin oil in the bore. Load a couple of extra rounds to fire first as foulers, then shoot your groups.

I'll try that. But, I think I'll have to do it in two rounds, one with cleaning the copper and one without removing copper. I think I've had the best success not trying to remove copper and just doing a quick clean with hoppes - saturate barrel with mop, do 25-30 strokes with wetted bronze brush, wet patch w hoppes until the carbon is out, two dry patches, and a thin coat of mineral oil at the end. Run 1 dry patch through right before shooting.

I've got LOTS of copper removers. That will be quick.