What do you use to clean

K

KSB209

There are so many products out there to clean guns. What do you use? I’ve been using Shoots choice for a long time and had a gift card for Montana Extreme so I got a bunch of that now. Do you stick to a certain product because you feel it is better then the others? Do you try different stuff all the time looking for the “best”? Or do you buy what’s on sale when you see it?

Just curious. Don’t want to start a fight of which product is the best.

Reelamin

Reelamin

Wipe out 90% of the time. 5% home brew of 50-50 Kroil and GM top engine cleaner. Every now and then some sweets 7.62 to verify copper is all out. Edit....I have tried everything including the outers electrolysis system.

Last edited:
M

MagnumManiac

CLR for heavy carbon, Hoppe’s #9 between matches followed by Hoppe’s BR. JB Bore paste is excellent for cleaning back to bare metal, if you have rifles that don’t like to be squeaky clean, then the other solvents will get rid of carbon. I don’t sweat the copper fouling that much.
For cleaning back to bare steel, I use Boretech Eliminator.
For my hunting rifles I use Hoppe’s BR, Sweet’s for copper and JB bore paste for proper cleaning after a few hundred shots.

Cheers.

D

Doc88

Look into Boretech Eliminator. Pretty much does everything. They make copper and carbon specific products as well, but Eliminator pretty much does it all. I just follow the directions on the bottle. I have bore scoped after cleaning to verify the barrels are cleaned well.

WildRose

WildRose

There are so many products out there to clean guns. What do you use? I’ve been using Shoots choice for a long time and had a gift card for Montana Extreme so I got a bunch of that now. Do you stick to a certain product because you feel it is better then the others? Do you try different stuff all the time looking for the “best”? Or do you buy what’s on sale when you see it?

Unless I have a real sticky problem I tend to just use one of the foaming bore cleaners. It's the lazy man's way to a clean bore. 😁

K

KSB209

Unless I have a real sticky problem I tend to just use one of the foaming bore cleaners. It's the lazy man's way to a clean bore. 😁
I tried one of these products a couple times. Always seemed to make a mess around the action. The one I had came with a. Little 4-5” tube to stick down the barrel but it would always foam up and get into the action.

Which one do you use?

E

emp1953

I have an old .270win Remington 700 that I have put thousands of rounds through and I never did a thorough copper cleaning. So I picked up some Butches Bore shine at a show and went to town with a bag of 250 patches. As I put patch 250 through the bore with a bore snake it was still coming out blue (still removing copper). the rifle did shoot 3/4 inch better at 200 yds but I am wondering if those 4 hours were really worth the 3/4 of an inch.