What do you use to clean the lens on your scopes,range finders,Bino's and Spotting Scopes?

I don't. I religiously keep all of my lens covers in place except during immediate use. (I realize that is not always possible)
I suck at streak-free windows! Scopes & binos? I'm no better.
See if you can find a QUALITY camera lens brush and use that to GENTLY brush off any dust particles. That normally covers me during my shooting season., which is usually Feb-Nov, unless I am doing any load development in between.

I'm curious why u dont apply cleaner directly to the lens. I spray a lot of cleaner directly to the lens and let the cleaner carry the dust off the lens to the bottom of the bell where I have a paper towel soak up the lens cleaner. I don't like the idea of dragging dust across the lens with a brush.
The alcohol in the solution can damage the lens coating

Many opinions but what do you use?
I usually carry a small lens cleaner spray and a lens cloth. You can pick up good lens cleaning spray containers at a eye glass store. I get mine from an eye glass store in my local Wal Mart. The sprayer is about 3 inches long and a little fatter than a #2 pencil. I also have a spudz hanging on my bino chest rig encase I misplace a cleaning cloth.

Like Radman I rarely clean my scope lenses. Keeping them covered as much as possible. I'm always doing something to friend's rifles, but I never touch their scope lenses and I've seen some extremely filthy lenses.

I'm curious why u dont apply cleaner directly to the lens. I spray a lot of cleaner directly to the lens and let the cleaner carry the dust off the lens to the bottom of the bell where I have a paper towel soak up the lens cleaner. I don't like the idea of dragging dust across the lens with a brush.
I read that it affects the coating on the lens. I ordered a product from a vendor that sells EXPENSIVE electron microscopes, and he advised against putting anything on the lens (spray etc), to only lightly dust it with a clean disposable microfiber cloth patches (he sold them), and throw them away after using it . It has been a while, and I wish I could recall who he was, and what business he had.
He did say that IF you had some type of crud (dirt,etc) that the duster blower or can of air wouldn't remove, to use ONLY distilled water to gently rinse the lens. It might take several attempts to apply the water then let it run off.

There are lense wipes and sometimes lense cleaner do comes with the scope from factory.
Follow your specific optic manufacturer's directions. Lens coatings vary and are the heart of optic performance. Don't take a chance on compromising the coatings. Check your owner's manual, contact your specific optic's customer service department.

Pro2A The Zeiss manual does not say what kind of cleaner is to be used.

Doug from Camera Land do you folks have a Lens Cleaning Kit that you sell?
I have never found a lens cover to fit the Athlon I bought from you a few years ago and the scope coat lets dust into the lens but I'm afraid of using the wrong cleaner.Maybe just a Lens Pen?
Some mentioned canned air and I think that may be good but wanted others opinions on what everyone else uses.

Zeiss cleaning wipes
I found a box of these at a Walgreens, of all places. But don't use them initially on a very dusty lens. First wash the major dust off with lens solution in a squirt bottle. A lens wipe or soft lens cloth will grind dirt into the glass and scratch it. Even contact lens solution will serve the purpose.

Zeiss sells lens cleaning patches in individual sealed packets, I always keep some in my hunting backpack as well as a Leupold lens cleaning pen. First I use the brush end of the pen to brush the fore and aft lenses to remove anything that could scratch the finish on the glass. Then use the other end of the lens cleaning pen to try to get any oil from my skin, or in one case blood from my eyebrow off the glass. Then if it still doesn't pass my inspection I'll turn to the Zeiss lens wipes, the last purchase I made I got 600 wipes for $34.95 from Amazon prime with free shipping. I use them on my rifle scopes, spotting scope, binoculars and my eyeglasses. Oh and I forgot my SLR digital cameras as well.
"or in one case blood from my eyebrow off the glass."
How could that happen??!! ;)

Recent Posts