What do you use for rear support?

lucasgreff

Right now I use a plain old GI issue sock filled with sand. What I do like it that combined w/ the bipod it is a rock solid shooting platform for prairie dogging and deer hunting. What I don't like it that it weighs 2 lbs and sand is messy. What kind of things are you guys using for field rear supports. ASide from a balled up fist? I was thinking simple plastic beads would cut weight but would I still get the stability?
Any help is appreciated,
Lucas

Well, you posted under the "Backpacking" section, so one assumes that you are either not firing on all cylinders or else want something light weight.

I gave Brain the last of my Polystyrene beads. That is what I use.

Depending, upon your ability, you can take an old camo shirt and cut the sleeve off and sew up one end. Then cut the other end of the sleeve so it has a pattern for a filler tube and sew that up. Fill up the "bag" with beads. Take some construction braided twine and tie off the filler tube and leave enough to tie a loop in the twine. Use a snap link to attach the bag loop to your belt or pack.

How much you fill the bag depends upon your preferences in a rear bag. I carry two so I like mine loose and floppy. At ranges past 1K I do not like to be squeezing the bag because it introduces movement in the rifle that cannot be tolerated at those distances.

Now then if you have a loose sparkplug wire and just happened to be in the Backpacking section because you got lost, then I will give you the following advice. I am not an olympic champion rifle shot, nonetheless, some days I do OK. I have tested the lightweight poly bags against the "Heavy sand" bags and the Heavy sand bags are the most accurate. You won't find any poly bags at 1K benchrest matches.

Right now I use a plain old GI issue sock filled with sand. What I do like it that combined w/ the bipod it is a rock solid shooting platform for prairie dogging and deer hunting. What I don't like it that it weighs 2 lbs and sand is messy. What kind of things are you guys using for field rear supports. ASide from a balled up fist? I was thinking simple plastic beads would cut weight but would I still get the stability?
Any help is appreciated,
Lucas

If you use a short bi-pod like the Harris BR model, your clenched fist is all that you need and its easy to adjust. If slightly more height is needed than I put my bino case or similar object under my fist. I've had no trouble making kills out to 1,000 yds using nothing more than my fist and a short bi-pod. It's the longer bi-pods that present the problems with finding an appropiate rear rest.

I use a piece of closed cell foam, about 6" wide, 10" long and tapered like a wedge of cheese from 4" thick to nothing, covered with filter material. set the pod close and slide the wedge back and forth to get on target. a pic
100_0279.jpg

RR

I have thought about experimenting with styrofoam,it's light weight,usually free(save some next time you buy something that comes packaged with it).Cut a piece a little bigger than you need,because you can compress it with your stock if needed.I thought maybe attaching it to a wristband and using it that way.Just an idea.

I love the wedge idea. I have some foam at home. I am going to give that a try. Maybe not that big but lightweight and very adjustable. Thanks

And yes I am firing on all 8 cylinders. I use bags for benchrest but wanted something besides a 2lb sand sock to carry into the field.

thanks again,
Lucas

I've been shooting off a rolled up gore-tex bivvy sac. A couple of thick rubber bands around it and it holds it's shape very well. It is the perfect height and firmness and something that is always with me when I'm hunting anyway. As such, it doesn't add any more weight or bulk to my pack.

You might consider thinking through how you might use something that's already in your pack to do the job--rolled up pants or shirt--something that you can package in a way that is will be of consistent firmness and shape. Good luck.

For no-holds-barred KD shooting, I use a leather rear sand bag filled w/ heavy zircon sand. Lookin' to upgrade to an Edgewood cordura/leather bag this year.

What I throw in my pack is a Redman Tactical beanie bag - filled w/ poly beads and weighs about 1.5#. He also makes bigger sizes (aka the 'Tactical Pillow') that I've been considerin. A little heavier (3.5#) but more comfy for when you are on the gun for an extended period.

From time to time I've used a shooting glove inside a heavy shooting mitt... works like the aforementioned fist, only way better. I been accused of 'cheating' by some individuals over that one... :rolleyes:

Monte

field bag preference

I have used my fist, my jacket, a rock or anything handy. The two purchased products that I have used are the "Snipers bean bag" and the Holland field bag...It always seems that the bean bag would work better but in the field I usually go with the Holland product because it is firmer
Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply click on shooters products...They are made by Doggone good products http://www.dog-gone-good.com/holland.jpg
Sniper Bean Bags for the bean bag Good luck

I do not use a rear support. I get a steady hold with my sling, I have found that getting back to basics from when I was in the service always works best for me. I use my leather 1903 sling standing, seated, and prone. Sling up, find NPOA, check my breathing and send the round

I used the Redman on my last hunt and liked it a lot. It's very steady when I squeeze it to adjust elevation, carries in my cargo pocket easily and doesn't weight too much. The picture is when I used it on my antelope hunt this year. The antelope is the small white dot on the far hillside.

Gordon
Niceville, FL

PA060073.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.