What do you use as a lightweight ground cloth in your floorless shelter?

I cut down a hay tarp from a farm supply store. I then installed brass eyelets to line up with the ones in the bottom of the tent walls so I could stake them together.

Dry, and sweeps out easy.

jeff

I use nylon ripstop, (same stuff used on tent floors) I bought some in bulk, cut it a little bigger than me and my sleeping pad footprint. Super light, waterproof etc. I also use a piece when I am deboning critters on the hill to place meat on, to keep it clean. Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics in Caldwell has lots of colors and you can buy it online. or if you want to try some I'll sell my leftover material for cheap. I have way more than i can use.

I use nylon ripstop, (same stuff used on tent floors) I bought some in bulk, cut it a little bigger than me and my sleeping pad footprint. Super light, waterproof etc. I also use a piece when I am deboning critters on the hill to place meat on, to keep it clean. Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics in Caldwell has lots of colors and you can buy it online. or if you want to try some I'll sell my leftover material for cheap. I have way more than i can use.

+1 on Outdoor wilderness fabrics.
Andy, I use tyvek. I've sewn the edges and added multiple loops so I can use it for a tarp also. Its great stuff and its cheap and very durable. I also use mine to lay quarters or meat on while you are field dressing. I also have a brooks range mountaineering ultralight guides tarp that I use sometimes.

Randy

Ripstop Nylon purchased from Joann's Fabric (local). It's not waterproof, but water resistant as it's a tightly woven synthetic material. I use a 3 layer gortex bivy sac as opposed to a tent.

If you purchase material from an online place I would recommend a silicone coated nylon. Light and waterproof. They have various thicknesses available to meet your weight/durability needs.

Any chance it fire treated?

No it is not fire treated, just silicone treated. Like 1sevenzero there are different weights, as a rule of thumb, lighter for above you and heavier for below you.

I use tyvek. There are a lot of stores online that will sell you custom cut sizes. Arrowhead Equipment does I think, and I know that Zpacks used to as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.