What do you think Remington 700P

nedley01

Hi

Looking for first deducted long range rig in 300 wm on a budget. Have been recommended the Remington Model 700P; will probably couple with Leupold 6-18x. All will be new.

Opinions welcome.

I have one in a 300win and shot really well until I brought it on 1 to many ground squirle excursions. Then I melted down barrel and now it is a 338-378imp.

If it was me I would buy a sps varmit and then buy a stock on ebay and you would have the same gun as the p but for way cheaper. I don't think the p is worth $900 + dollars when you can buy the sps varmit for $479.00 and it has the same action and barrel just minus the hs stock. Just my opinion.

Dude, look around I bought mine brand new for 670$. I had a friend that bought one for 700 that had the trigger tuned and the action trued and it shoots like mad. His little brother got one in a 223 for 500 and it had very low round count and holds .5in @ 200. about a quarter minute of angle. Bot me and my friends held about .75moa @ 200.

[ QUOTE ]
... His little brother got one in a 223 for 500 and it had very low round count and holds .5in @ 200. about a quarter minute of angle. Bot me and my friends held about .75moa @ 200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Screech,
Maybe you should have your friends little brother shoot yours! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Don

I would except he is so small he can hardly shoot his. 5ft3 and maybe 85lbs. Kid needs to eat some more. It also wasn't him shooting it was my friend that owns the ultra. Having him shoot my 338 may not be a good Idea. Even with a brake it moves my 300lb 6ft tall self. Not alot but definently alot more than his 223.

[ QUOTE ]
I personally would buy the Sendero, if you were gonna spend that amount of money and get the SS fluted barrel.
just my opinion.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!!!

I have owned three Remington 700 PSS (now called 700-P) and they were just OK, and for the money, they were a poor choice.

They are roughly finished, and have a poor-ish barrel.

1/4 moa PSS??? I'm not going to call anyone a liar, but I have owned three, and I've had personal experience completely re-building over a dozen of them for others.

1/4 moa??? You will NEVER SEE IT!!! That... you can take to the bank.

For the same money, you can get a Sendero-II Stainless Flutie, and they are beautifully finished. Actions are glass smooooth and slick. I paid $850-ish for my .264 Sendero-II last September, and it will shoot groups half the size of any PSS I have ever seen, right out of the box.

Several friends are shooting the Sendero-II in 1,000yd "F" class matches, with nothing but a trigger adjustment.

Not trying to upset you but the vice president of Night force I would think would argue on my side and trust me, with the cash he has he can buy the cats meow for stuff. He was the one that sold us our pss's. I did find out that you have to lap the barrel quite often. I think it was Jb or something like that. It was amazing watching him take a rifle that shot 2inch groups at 100 and after he would take some bore lapping compound and it all of a sudden became sub moa. That I believe is the key to them. Call me a liar, I dont really care. Come on up to Idaho and I'll show ya. Maybe it was a lucky day for Aaron shooting his brothers gun because we only shot one group and called her good but I garantee that you can use them to 1k. At least the three I have dealt with. Dont get me wrong I like the old senderos to. Dad has one in a 7stw that I shoot and it is also a real good shooter for a factory gun.

[ QUOTE ]
... I did find out that you have to lap the barrel quite often. I think it was Jb or something like that. It was amazing watching him take a rifle that shot 2 inch groups...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that just about says it all, and makes my point for me.

Thanks RUM. Or at least I think that you're on my side but not 100% sure. Like I said, lapping that barrel will work wonders. My little brother's 300wsm is the same way. Wont shoot unless you lap it. I'm talking every 30-40 rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.