What do you think of this barrel?

7mm Weatherby Magnum. Looks like this all the way down. I think I've squeezed every bit of life from it. Still shoots sub 1" though…View attachment 288120
How for out is that in the throat? All of my Weatherby's look like that after 100 rounds and shoot them to 1000 rounds or more with no accuracy loss. Here's a pic of a 270 Weatherby Mag with just over 80 rounds (basically just broke in) that has over 600 now and still shoots lights out with a fairly mild load with the 117 Hammer Hunters.
F4C67DDD-9CE6-4596-98C8-E43CCB47484D.png

Last edited:
The bore looks like that all the way down. Probably close to 1500 rounds through it. Like I said…. I think I squeezed every bit out of it. 😁
Say,. "goodbye" to that, Barrel and BEG somebody to, sell you, a New one !
Maybe call Ken at, Brux and,.. Pray !
Check with Mike Bryant at, Bryant's Customs in Texas ,.. he usually has, a Few extra Barrels for,.. "Customers" !
Good luck !

I've never tried this but have to think out loud here: would this be the sort of thing one could smooth out a bit with fire-lapping? Where the lapping compound is applied to projectiles.

and while she looks a little bit like a crocodile's skin, I bet there's a good bit of accurate life left especially for loads incorporating standard cup and core flat base bullets with lots of bearing surface

I had a Rem. 700 7RM factory rifle that I shot, conservatively, cuz I didn't keep exact count, 2500+ rounds over the years.. Still put 3 shots, 160 partitions or 175 core lokts, into 1" at 100yds. I was happy as a pig in the mud! Killed a boatload of animals, pigs, deer, elk, coyotes, ground squirrels with it.

THEN, my 'smith got a new bore scope and let me look thru it..........bad idea! NO rifling for about 2"! Gasp! Gotta get a new barrel. My first time to actually do that.

Been a VERY deep/expensive rabbit hole to which I've descended since! Seems NOW, I have to re-barrel when it stops shooting under .5 MOA. How sad a creature I've become. Bore scopes are the devils scissors with which you cut yourself to pieces. I should give mine away........
Prime example of ignorance is bliss.
Try to "get your mind, right, Luke" and shoot it till it don't shoot no more is my advice.
Good luck.

I had a Rem. 700 7RM factory rifle that I shot, conservatively, cuz I didn't keep exact count, 2500+ rounds over the years.. Still put 3 shots, 160 partitions or 175 core lokts, into 1" at 100yds. I was happy as a pig in the mud! Killed a boatload of animals, pigs, deer, elk, coyotes, ground squirrels with it.

THEN, my 'smith got a new bore scope and let me look thru it..........bad idea! NO rifling for about 2"! Gasp! Gotta get a new barrel. My first time to actually do that.

Been a VERY deep/expensive rabbit hole to which I've descended since! Seems NOW, I have to re-barrel when it stops shooting under .5 MOA. How sad a creature I've become. Bore scopes are the devils scissors with which you cut yourself to pieces. I should give mine away........
Prime example of ignorance is bliss.
Try to "get your mind, right, Luke" and shoot it till it don't shoot no more is my advice.
Good luck.
Borescope say one of my rifles is pitted! Three places. Still shoots under 1/2". I think borescopes are good before you buy a rifle. After that only check them when they stop shooting. MHO

I didn't. Catch if that is the original. Factory. Barrel ?? If. So. Have you. Spoken to anyone at. Weatherby??? I Would. Think this barrel issue deserves serious attention ! I Would Not shoot it until. I Have a. Professional assessment!

I think clean. I space my shots so that the barrel doesn't heat up too much.
None of my guns shoot good clean and I'm way anal about not shooting a hot barrel. I'm too cheap to think of barrels as "expendables"! Ha ha Also, I'm 20 minutes from Montana's largest city and still can't find a quality 'smith!