What do you think of the 6.5 WBY RPM ?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Overkill338, Oct 18, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. John Polk

John Polk Well-Known Member

2. John Polk

I could not disagree with you more. My .270 will outshoot most 6.5 mms out to 6-700 yards arriving faster and with more energy. By the time most 6.5 mm can rival the .270 in energy both are way below what is necessary to reliably shoot antelope and deer.
    Don't tell me I don't understand ballistic coefficients because I use a 210 grain Nosler accubond long range in my .300 Weatherby when the game and the distance required that heavy a road.

3. MerlinMc

MerlinMc Member

I have shot the 26 Nosler since shortly after it first became available. The 6.5 WBY RPM is a similar idea. Recall that WBY came out with a belted 6.5 shortly after Nosler introduced their 26. I do think the rimless RPM is better than the belted if you are going with WBY.

While the 26 Nosler very accurate, I use it for hunting. Way too expensive to shoot otherwise. It's been my main "big game" hunting round and I have shot a wide variety of animals from 15 to 800 lbs. It worked great on all of them.

Also shoot 6.5 CM and 260 Rem. I like both of those rounds as well. More economical though not as versatile in a hunting situation, especially somewhere like Africa where the game and distances can vary widely.

4. rfurman24

rfurman24 Well-Known Member

Thats funny. Thanks for the laugh.

So your beloved 270 is launching a .660 bc bullet 3040fps? Most likely not and what if your rifle does not like the only high bc 270 bullet available???? Back to my point which is fact. The selection of high bc 25 and 270 bullets suck PERIOD. If you like the 25 or 27 great. The high bc bullet selections still suck. Argue all you want this is fact.

5. rfurman24

While I do not like cartridges as overbore as the 26 Nosler or the 6.5x300 I can see the desire. The RPM is not trying to compete with them. It is 100% to have max performance in the 6 lug action to save weight.

OLI62, Rich Coyle, mrultramag and 3 others like this.
  6. CliffM

CliffM Well-Known Member

Don't like it much at first glance, the case is too long so bullets seat too deep unless you can run a much longer oal.

7. 436

436 Well-Known Member

I like it, it came to the commercial 6.5mm party late, but... all in all, as a Weatherby style cartridge it meets their concept for speed in their quality commercial hunting rifles. In the bench long-range game, like the Williamsport, Pennsylvania and Eastern Chuck hunters where I believe the cartridge was first seen on the scene it was well known for its accuracy and flat-shooting, known as the 6.5-300 Wby Mag for many years back then. So, are there better cartridge in the hunting game, sure there is, but... if your a 6.5mm and Weatherby rifle guy... I think the 6.5 Weatherby Mag will work just fine. Do shooter need a new commercial cartridge like a 6.5-WSSM sure why not, or we could just go back down the trail and start shooting some of the old ones like the 6.5x57mm and the 6.5 Remington Mag one of my all-time favorite 6.5mm cartridges, I do miss my 6.5 Remington Mag.

8. John Polk

25WSM likes this.
  9. 35 Whelen

35 Whelen Well-Known Member

Yes the bullet selection in .277 is limited but they made them because they are wanted! The more they are used more will become available. The .270 Win. was the long range cartridge when introduced in 1925 and still is even with "standard" bullets. Yes higher BC helps, but that is no reason to down the caliber. If the manufactures would spend more time on bullets for all the fine caliber/cartridges we have and stop flooding the market with cartridges that duplicate each other we would be better off.

James Pearson, Alibiiv and CVCOBRA1 like this.
  10. John Polk

No, my .300 Weatherby is launching a .661 bc bullet at 3000 fps and my .277 launching is lauching 130 grain bullet at 3180 fps. Both of which beat a 6.5 mm Creedmor, 6.5 x 57 Mauser or a 6.5 x55 Swedish way out beyond where any of the latter 3 have the energy left to kill game animals.
    The ballistic coefficient and the velocity you cite is for a 300 Weatherby not for any 6.5 mm cartridge.

11. rfurman24

I just bet my buddy you would come back and try to compare much larger capacity 270 to a weaker 6.5 creedmoor. LOL!. If you want to brag about your 270 I would start with a bullet actually capable of competing with the PRC or 6.5x284 launching the much better bullets we are speaking of. You love your 277, we get it. The market has spoken. They love the 6, 6.5, 7, and 30. I am over it. The market supports my argument which is why WBY made ANOTHER 6.5.

Back on topic. Many will chamber in this round and I am not sure where it will fit overall but in the Weatherby line it will serve its purpose well.

12. Overkill338

Overkill338 Well-Known Member

Hey, I like 7's, 30's and 33's. I just thought this .473 rimmed version was a great opportunity to build some amazing rifles on just about any long action you want.

35 Whelen and IanCo like this.
  13. John Polk

I did give you a bullet there is capable of competing with the 6.5 by 284 and that is the 210 grain Nosler Accubond long range from a 300 Weatherby. I would never use anything less to shoot in an animal, if I would shoot an animal at all, at these ranges.

14. rfurman24

You never got any argument from me about 30 cals. I personally would never take anything less than a 30 with a 200 plus grain bullet for an elk hunt. WBY is not chasing the 30 cal market with the RPM/6lug action.

John Polk likes this.