What do you think is WRONG with my bench shooting?? Group?

Is your flier always after your 3rd or 4th shot? I heard John Krieger (of Krieger barrels) explain this phenomenon, and he knows barrels. The big magnum barrels heat up pretty quick, some after the 3rd shot. In the right outdoor temperature environment this will cause a mirage effect down your sight-line. Add the magnification of a scope into the mix and the mirage effect is magnified. With the target dancing around in the mirage where do you decide to shoot at it, when it's wiggled to the left or up or down. Just another possibility from an expert on building quality barrels.

When I shoot at the bench I have a tendancy to push with my shoulder since you are leaning over the rifle. I have to focus on keeping my shoulders square to keep from stringing to the left.

Just thinking...how much pressure do you apply to your shoulder, cheek-piece, and grip?

Just thinking...how much pressure do you apply to your shoulder, cheek-piece, and grip?

This is my question also. I have shot a lot of 5 shot groups with 4 in one hole and the fifth in right field. I know there are outstanding shooters on this forum and it would be helpful if you could describe each step of your shot process/technique. In my case, I'm sure it's my form or technique causing the outlier. I'd like to try what works for you.

This is my question also. I have shot a lot of 5 shot groups with 4 in one hole and the fifth in right field. I know there are outstanding shooters on this forum and it would be helpful if you could describe each step of your shot process/technique. In my case, I'm sure it's my form or technique causing the outlier. I'd like to try what works for you.
Does the rifle have a box magazine? Measure the overall length of all the rounds you put in it. Fire 4 of them. Pop out the 5th unfired and measure it, See if it ends up being longer than the others, if it is longer then there is a contributing factor for your outlier (but not the only possible factor). The bullet is jumping forward with the recoil of the previous 4 rounds.

Shooting off the bench I always load a single round, usually for load development and shooting for groups. I take my time reloading and try for consistency, so when a shot goes outside the group I've concluded its just me. I follow these threads carefully, trying to gain knowledge from experienced shooters. If someone could share, as simply as possible, how they address each element of their shooting routine (or what they think is most critical for shot to shot consistency) it would be extremely helpful information for me. Unfortunately, I never knew or shot with anyone capable of .1 -.3 MOA accuracy. I hope to develop the skill for hunting out to 600 yds.

I haven't seen this, so I will ask....what bullets?
On every single NABLR I have ever tried, in various calibers, cartridges, and bullet weights, I ALWAYS had one flier of 3 shots. Even on .2MOA rifles that shot everything else well.
ELD-X are 40% hit, 60% miss for me as far as accuracy. Either they shoot .2" or 1". Not much in between. But then again, I think .75" is not good enough, even .5" is barely acceptable to me.
Some rifles just don't like certain bullets, or powder, or primers. Maybe try a different bullet

My opinion and running it through my mind. You are shooting to the right everytime that it is off a bit because you are shooting left handed. I bet if you shot the same exact way but right handed using the same fundamentals that you have shooting left handed, the shots would be off to the left. It is my "opinion" that as you continue to shoot, you are letting your shoulder tilt back at an angle instead of having good square pressure onto the butt of the rifle. If you were putting too much pressure onto the rifle butt, you would be hitting to the left. When the rifle recoils, the rifle is going to go in the path of least resistance so if you are letting your shoulder tilt back (or canting your body at an angle away from the butt of the rifle), the back of the rifle is going to go to the left but the barrel end will go right when you are firing.

When you shoot, try squaring your shoulder up to the butt of the rifle everytime and don't push hard on the butt of the rifle with your shoulder but just get it good and snug. Even when shooting prone, people cant their body to a side but their shoulders is always square with the butt of the rifle.

A lot of times, people cant their shoulder away from the rifle because the length of pull of the stock is too long for them so they have to cant themselves away to get their face up far enough to see a full view through the scope.

My most recent effort was to develop loads for a couple of .260 Rems and a 6.5 PRC. I was trying Hammers in the .260's and Bergers and Hammers in the PRC. The PRC shot both bullets very well. My frustration was a 4 shot group under .4 and a 5th opening it up to .6-.7. I'm certain the bullets and rifle are .5 MOA capable, it seems I'm not, leading me to believe it's a problem with form and technique. I just would like to figure out how to shoot consistently.

Have somebody else shoot the gun to see if the same thing happens. It will tell you if it's you or your load.

I need to find somebody that is an accomplished shooter. Unfortunately, everybody I hunt with shoots about as well as me. It would be the blind leading the blind. Anybody out there with a .2 MOA rifle live close to western Wisconsin and needs an apprentice?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.