What do you think an H&R Handi Rifle is capable of?!?

joshua99ta

I have a buddy with one and he wants to experiment with some loads in the rifle. I'm gunna check the twist on the barrel. I dunno what the twist is but its a 30-06.

I was thinking about trying some berger 180s in the rifle for him.... From what I understand it shoots pretty good so far. I told him I'de take the rifle and shoot it and work on some loads to see what we can get out of it with just different loads.

I know this isnt any sort of LR rifle... but its just gunna be fun to see what this little gun is capable for me. I'm trying to talk him into an SPS for next season to hunt with but he is heart set on a BAR 7mm. Oh well.

I have only owned 1 H&R gun and it was a 12 ga shotgun. It was for coyotes while I was calving out cows.(a pickup gun). I had trouble ejecting almost every shot. And the recoil was HORRIBLE! I wouldnt load it up too hot, or anywhere near the SAAMI max. Start low and work up. I kinda get a kick out of goofy pet projects like these where you start with X and see what you can do with it. Good luck:)

I have only owned 1 H&R gun and it was a 12 ga shotgun. It was for coyotes while I was calving out cows.(a pickup gun). I had trouble ejecting almost every shot. And the recoil was HORRIBLE! I wouldnt load it up too hot, or anywhere near the SAAMI max. Start low and work up. I kinda get a kick out of goofy pet projects like these where you start with X and see what you can do with it. Good luck:)

I think that's what my girlfriend was thinking when she hooked up with me.:cool:

Tom

winmag... thats what I was kind of thinking... I like doing stuff everybody else is stupid.... I have a lot of friends who say spending sooo much on a rifle just for LR shooting is retarded. They also believe LR shooting is dumb. I love it though. I love to do things with stuff people think should never work. I just wish I had the time and money to build my own... I don't have the know how but if I had the time I can get the know how.

I have an H&R from when I was young... or may be a NEF chambered in .243 win... I havent shot the rifle in probably 10 years... I been meaning to pull it out and shoot it some.... way back when I never really could shoot and didnt know anything about shooting so my best group was 3-4 moa@ 100... I've got a feeling it'll shoot better though.

I'll keep that in mind about the loads though.

Roaddog you have more 1-liners..............Im still llaughing.:D:D

Josh99 Good luck and be CAREFUL. I dont know how much Id trust that thing.:rolleyes:

I too like a challenge and the Handi-Rifles are. I owned one in .243 that I got through a trade. I tried quiet a few different bullets, powders and primers in that dang rifle and it never shot better than 2" at 100yds. I gave up on it and sold it for $50.
I have one in .280 right now that belongs to my boss. Initially, he just wanted me to sight it in for him but that didn't go well. He provided 3 boxes of the Hornady Light Magnum 139gn Moly SST Interlocks and once I got the scope on track the groups ran about 8". I figured it was the ammo and that I could improve by swapping bullets/powder. I tried the 140gn Ballistic Tip and XMR3100 and groups ran about the same. Yeah, I was disgusted with the Handi-Rifle again!
Then I tried the 120gn Ballistic Tip with the same powder and that was more like it. Groups shrank to an inch or less and I was pleased. I also tried some Sierra 120gn ProHunters and they shot to the same POI and group size.
I'm in the process of getting rid of those Hornady's and doing a barrel break-in on it. I'm taking my time as it's not the only rifle I'm working on and reloading for and it kicks like the proverbial mule.
Good luck in you quest. JohnnyK.

I put a great effort into a Handi-Rifle in 223. I love single shots, It was very light, very safe. Truly handy.
I managed 1/2moa of cold barrel accuracy, and killed alot of GHs with it. But it was never capable of 5-sht grouping under 1moa, and copper fouled out before 10rounds!

I got too focused on grouping, and the copper,, and one day seperated it into 3 neighborhood dumpsters.

There is a good Handi-Rifle forum out there. Some have had more success with theirs.

lol these are some good posts!

I think it'll be fun! Once I get past a few little things I have to get done @ home I am gunna take this rifle and play a little!

Dont forget to contact H&R/NEF. They may be able to help you choose a proper bullet weight. I bought one in .204 Ruger when that caliber first came out. It shot terrible groups(about 8"). I sold it to my buddy and he called NEF and asked them what was the best bullet weight to use. They told him 35gr and the groups size dropped down to a couple inches in size. A trip to the gunsmith to get the trigger weight down to 3lb and that produced 1" groups, reloads produced groups that you could cover 5 shots with a dime.

wow! I'm not expecting that kind of results but it would be awesome! I'de like to see some 1-1.5s though... I don't think that will be a problem

I bought a .223 and mounted a cheap BSA red dot sight for my kids to shoot. The accuracy of that thing really surprised me and I use it for hunting coyotes all the time. It won't extract a spent case if you open it after shooting then close it before removing the case. You have to poke it out with a cleaning rod.
I had one of their 10 guage short barreled turkey guns. That thing would shove you a step back, or roll you on your back when sitting.
I would like to have one of the long barreled 45-70's for LR targets but a buddy of mine had one and the hammer broke off.

I do have one in .45-70... I havent gotten to shoot it to get any sort of groups yet. I had a BSA illum reticle on it and I picked up some cheap $20 rings @ a local gun smiths and put it on and the rifle and went to go shoot it and the scope slid back about 1/8" everytime I shot it... went and bought some $40 weavers installed them and went to shoot the rifle and the elevation turret fell of the scope! lol therefore I'll never own another BSA optic. I been meaning to pick up a little nikon or something to put on the gun just for primitive weapon hunting here in mississippi... but I have just been bow hunting during the season since that happened.... just havent messed with it.

I have a 30.06 handy rifle and still use it. 1" groups are common with hand loads. I also have a 22-250 Ultra varmint it shoot dime size groups at 200 yds. The H&R rifles are not the best but there are good ones.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.